Putting airbags in an older car

Proven safer, but to what degree?

The study I read which was conducted by NHIS and Liberty Mutual (I was consulting to them at the time) had a LOT of raw data…Their finding’s where that Airbags had saved the lives of THOUSANDS of people and prevented other injuries for THOUSANDS more.

Insurance companies are GREAT for saving money. And the less money they have to pay out for injuries in a car crash is something EVERY insurance company strives for. That’s why they’ve been HUGH advocates of airbags. They wouldn’t spend ONE DIME on research and campagning if they didn’t think it could save them MILLIONS each year. And to get airbags mandated in every car the insurance companies spent MILLIONS in campagning, commercials and lobbying.

I’ve always wondered how people survived 50+ years ago with cars that didn’t even have seatbelts as an option in them.

Probably because there were 1/10 the amount of cars and drivers on the road as there are now.

A safer car makes not a safer driver.
I agree that more and more people would rather spend more money on extra airbags, stability control, parking assist(I’m looking at you Lexus), cruise control with radar, rear DVD entertainment systems, etc., than actually learning how to drive.