Pulled auto transmission pan, 100s-1000s of little steel beads

It’s been since 1967 that I was last in the foundry for aluminum and cast iron. We never did any shot blasting since they were just cast wheels etc. I didn’t think that looked like the sand for the molds that I remembered but the shot blasting makes sense.

So theory is there was some hiding in a corner of the casting and got dumped into the pan. I guess my question would be how the fluid was changed 5 times without pulling the pan. At any rate good point to drop the pan. So if the pan was never dropped until now, they have been in there the whole time?

1 Like

That seems like a reasonable explanation of how the shot got in the transmission, I had assumed the pan had been removed before.

That material did not come from a bearing or over-running clutch, those are not manufacture from mild steel.

As to the fear of damage from the contaminates, metal drops to the bottom of the pan and cannot pass through the filter.

1 Like

In the official shop manual, Subaru states it is unnecessary to change the internal filter unless it’s damaged. As a result no dealer tech ever opens the pan to do a normal fluid change. Previously it had just been serviced at normal intervals by the dealer. There is an external can/oil type filter on the outside that I had changed. The original Subaru (red) silicone was on the pan. The only time it’s ever opened is if it’s leaking (my case) or if there is a suspect problem and they need access to some of the components or wiring thats in the pan.

I’m guessing that if they did any damage, it was done immediately and I’ve never known the difference, hahaha, oh well. F-ing cars…

If your pan looks like the one I posted a picture of . . . again, I do NOT believe the dealer mechanics don’t drop the pan

Rockauto is showing a regular stamped steel pan, regular gasket, internal filter and a spin-on filter

I simply don’t believe good mechanics only drain the fluid and change the spin-on filter

Good mechanics will drain the fluid, drop the pan, change the internal filter, gasket AND the spin-on filter. Then they’ll fill with new fluid

This design is similar to the Allison 1000 and 2000. They also have a stamped steel pan, internal AND external filters

Bad mechanics will drink the koolaid and believe the transmission’s “sealed”

Does anyone else besides Subaru use an external filter for their transmissions? This seems like a wise design.

1 Like

Honda has filters outside the transmission.

Tester

1 Like

Interesting. Honda had some bad auto trannies a decade or two (?) ago. I wonder if this external filter was part of their response.

1 Like

I used to work for a BMW motorcycle dealership. At the dealership, the mechanics have access to the official, manufacturer sanctioned, step by step instructions for literally every maintenance procedure the car would ever need, along with instructions for just about every non maintenance and warranty procedure, again with step by step instructions.

If the customer came in asking me to do an oil change, I did an oil change exactly as described in the manual. If the customer asked me to do an oil change and also remove the oil pan and clean it out, they were charged for the oil change as well as the time that the manual estimates for dropping the pan and cleaning it out. Additionally, the manual says that the filter is a maintenance free part, which only needs replacement when damaged or leaking.

I asked them to replace the filter in the past, and was charged accordingly. The internal filter while it can be replaced, is almost never replaced unless the transmission is being disassembled or has been inspected and found to be damaged.

At a dealership, unless there is a really fantastic reason for doing so (including customer requests), NO mechanic is going to do anything more than what the manual explicitly states to do. Why, do you ask? Because (dealer) mechanics make absolutely shit money, and any task that they are no being compensated for, is not done.

I have the Subaru factory shop manual and in the AT fluid change section (it’s one page long), it makes absolutely no mention of removing the pan. If the book doesn’t tell you to do it, ya don’t do it.

The car is 20 years old, far beyond its expected service life. It’s not unusual for things to begin failing when the car is past retirement age.

2 Likes

What I do not get is this. I worked on Subarus for many years and have been into more Subaru transmissions than I can remember; be it repairs, overhauls, or fluid servicing.

I have never seen or heard of this issue. It has also never been mentioned at any Subaru service schools or by other techs while trading stories at those schools.

I find it hard to believe that transmission would travel all through the assembly process without shedding debris the entire time if it was contaminated from the get-go.

JMO, but that debris could be detrimental magnet or no magnets. The trans pump is inhaling fluid and that debris can be pulled against the screen or filter which then restricts fluid flow. The same principle as a cousin of mine who had his Pontiac serviced and the trans would barely shift when he got it back; a whopping 2 weeks later.
The cause? The pan was full of dog food and dried leaves.

To me, a trans service means off with the pan and there is not a better way to get a heads up if things are going south inside that transmission.

3 Likes

Dog food and dried leaves are from rodents. The mechanic must have been blind. Once the debris got soaked with hot trans fluid and circulated I would think it would ruin the trans. The leaves wouldn’t be dry and the dog food would be unrecognizable.

1 Like

It’s not published well, but 05 CR-V has an online transmission filter on one of the tranny coolant lines going to the radiator. It is supposed to be lifetime, but is under $20 and easy to replace. There is also an internal filter in the tranny which requires disassembly to change. That is also lifetime and is why the manuals say never to flush this particular tranny.

1 Like

From what I understand, flushing modern transmissions in general is verboden. It does absolutely nothing beneficial, or so I’m told.

True. It’s mostly plastic crap that I’m seeing fall apart. 20 years in the sun, I guess it’s bound to breakdown. I sure if I had a garage to keep it in, it would be fine.

I used to think that, but most AT ‘flushes’ are actually ‘fluid exchanges’, where the ATF cooling line to the radiator is disconnected, the exchange machine hooked up, and the old fluid removed as new fluid is added. No real ‘flushing’ going on.

1 Like

By whom?

Tester

1 Like

Well I guess not Paddy Goss.

I WAS a dealership mechanic for many years

Just thought you should know

I’m currently a public sector fleet mechanic

My comment to that . . . :rofl:

That’s right up there with “sealed transmissions” and “lifetime fluid”

Good mechanics use their judgement and often go way beyond what the factory service manual or factory maintenance schedule

People that can’t think outside of the box are in danger of becoming “parts changers”

I’ve worked with a few mechanics like that over the years

Guess who does NOT get the complicated jobs or the ones that require diagnosis, patience, thinking outside of the box, etc. . . . ?!

I’m not calling for this discussion to be closed

But I do think it’s run its course

3 Likes

Why would you ask for the discussion to be closed? You’re no longer a dealership tech. Probably a reason for that. I once asked the Toyota dealership service writer what a transmission service entailed for out 2013 Highlander. After I concluded that they considered the filter to be a a mysterious “screen” somewhere inside the trans, apparently a huge deal to replace (you’d have to take the trans apart according to the service writer :grin:) and that they just pulled the drain plug and changed the fluid on my “sealed for life” transmission, I just bought the fluid and did it myself. Most tech’s would no doubt know better than the service writer, but they only get paid for what’s billed, right?

I don’t disagree that the best way of doing it is to drop the pan. However, I don’t disagree that if the book doesn’t call for it as part of that service…most tech’s probably aren’t going to do it and I’ll probably care more about getting it right as the owner of the vehicle. Who knows what the book calls for on a sealed for life trans service? But, most folks will do what’s asked of them (if you’re lucky). Few will go above and beyond. I think you might. And that’s great. But you’re probably not a typical “working for a paycheck” guy.

As a side note (probably needs to be a private message), I have a former coworker that is planning on selling a 2005 F150, single cab, V6, base-ish model truck (STX, sport?) - 130k miles, burnt up auto trans for scrap. I asked him today if he’d sell it to me (for more than scrap price). I’m not a Ford guy, but…I think I might buy it for my son if I can get it for two to three times scrap value. I need to pick your brain lol.