Pt cruiser repair question water pump?

I’m wondering why they did not mention that the engine was due for the timing belt job when you had it in for the valve cover gaskets. And what gaskets are around the spark plugs???

I did a Pt cruiser timing belt and I do know that the waterpump is only accessible after removing the timing belt. THe kit I got included all the belts, pump, idler pully, and tentioner.

“what gaskets are around the spark plugs???”

Spark plug tube seals, I might guess

Ok I got the error codes that came back. i am requesting a print out of them too They gave me these numbers:
P0340
P0016
P0344

Yes it was the spark plug tube seals. :slight_smile:

Were they able to explain their finding to your satisfaction?

P0016 Crankshaft/camshaft timing misalignment.
This could be caused by a cam or crank sensor/wiring problem but is very likely the timing belt jumped a few teeth. This can be confirmed by removing the cam sprocket cover and inspecting the timing marks.

Yes it was. Had some bad experiences before that have me a little paranoid.

Good to know it was plausible. And it runs nice now. Also very very grateful that it didn’t happen while we were out of town two weeks ago, and at the mercy of people we didn’t know.

I am glad you are back on the road. I cannot imagine anyone replacing the plug wires on a PT Cruiser and leaving the old spark plugs in especialy since you have to remove the upper intake manifold to do either one, also to replace the cam cover gasket and spark plug seals.
On mine I replaced the spark plugs at 30,000 miles with irridium plugs for the turbo models since the dealer told me the wire sets and coils were the same between the turbo and regular engines and the irridium plugs last 100,000 miles.

Well, this is AWESOME!!! 24 days out of the shop and the same issue comes up. Check engine light comes on solid, misfires at 2100 rpms…GRRRRR. They said “Our work is guaranteed for 12 months etc etc…
” But honestly I’m not sure I trust them. I’m really just waiting for them to call and say it’s something ‘new’ at 800 plus dollars to fix. That is two different repairs at 1200 + a piece in the span of 1 1/2 months!

All you can do at this point is lean on them hard about their warranty. Say you’d like to return but have to know that their warranty means something.

It turned out to be a Cam Sensor…now I’m wondering how many parts in a car have the word ‘cam’ in them.

They did replace it for free though so that was good.

Thanks for the update; it really helps. Overall, you did OK, but it was unnecessarily painful along the way.