Project- building a mid-engine car from a front wheel drive

If you want to avoid turbocharging but want lots of power, consider a Nissan 3.5 or a Honda/Acura 3.0/3.2/3.5. All were available with 6 speed manual transmissions.

You’re certainly thinking the process through in your mind, the first step in designing, but it’s relay tough to get the handling in a front-engine - RWD car that’s inherent in a mid engine design. Besides, the typical transverse-engine, FWD transaxle setup provides a complete powertrain/rear end package almost complete for use in a mid engine car. In many, the front chassis/powertrain assembly were even designed and built on a subframe by the manufacturer and the unibody dropped over it on the assembly line.

On the other hand, a front engine - RWD configuration opens up a world of options and possibilities. Pick up magazines like Street Rodder, Hot Rod, and others that cater to hot rod builders and you’ll see some well known and respected chassis and frame manufacturers. A visit to their websites can offer countless frames, chassis, and powertrains. Kit Car mags are also excellent places to start searches.

Me, I admit to liking your original idea, using a FWD/transverse engine powertrain to create a mid engine car. But I know this is highly personal preference, and this ain’t my project!! :relaxed:

1 Like

The best reasonably priced manual transmissions are Tremec. They come in 5 or 6 speed and have models for either Ford or Chevy Engines, and bell housing adapters for many other Engines. You need to decide if you are going to have independent rear suspension and just how large this vehicle is going to be. If small and race car like handling is required, there is a new plumbing, electrical kit to put the new Ford 4 cylinder Engines in a mid engine configuration. The new Ford Turbocharged EcoBoost Engines go up to 350 HP. If you are based around a compact light Engine, means many many more suspension systems to pick from either from your local junkyard or off the speed shop shelves. The lighter you make it the more performance you can get out of lower horsepower and cost engines. If V8 power is your choice there are many new Chevy generation engines to pick from. There are quite a few distributors that even sell low mileage Chevy V8s with 12 month 12,000 mile warranties with engines of 200hp to 400hp including the engine electrical control and management system. So – Emission clean, good mileage and powerful. Ford V8 path will be 75% more expensive. I’m on my 22nd car/truck in life and two were street-strip and a vintage Mini Cooper Race Car. Seven Chevys, one Pontiac, five Fords, three Fiats, one Dodge, one Triumph, one VW, one 1961 Morris Mini Cooper and two Mercury’s. Everyone one of them had/has speed equipment added and besides the two street/strip, the full race Mini, six others of them were Auto Crossed. Look at race car kits to start with. That will give you the money picture. Look under SCCA, and NASA Race Car Kits to start with. You may save a lot of time and money starting with a chassis kit that is certified race strong. May even save your life down the road. Especially if you plan on taking another person with you when you are done. Have fun and Good Luck

Thanks, Salc00.
I was already planning on using racing specs for the roll cage and frame, but it’s a good reminder.

Also, thanks for the reference to the transmission company. I did go poking around on their site, but I did not see any transaxle options for a V8. I’m not surprised, though. Looks like a V6 is going to be the answer.
Sigh