"Processing fee" for a used car?

Make mine a third enquiry; what’s RTD? I’m unfamiliar with the acronym.

I don’t ask that any fees go away. Otherwise, it becomes a debate on every single one. It’s their job and they are trained to confuse the issue and get the buyer to think in details. Keep it simple. Let them have all their fees and give you the final price. Now, that’s the one you focus on. It’s up to them to do the adjustment to your final
pice with their little calculators and running back and forth to the sales manager. Besides, most need the exercise.

Good points, all!

Geez so which is it? returned to duty (US DoD), Real-Time Data, Radioactive Threat Detection. Real-Time Display, Ready to Die (gaming clan), Rapid Test Designer, Refugee Travel Document, Rule the Day, Rice Tungro Disease, Robert the Doll ?

I gotta feeling its either Tungro disease or Robert the Doll.

I’ve never heard of an RTD fee but a quick dig shows that some places may now charge a fee which is called a Regional Transportation Duty fee; imposed by various form of local government.
It may be called other things depending on where it’s applied. Transportation Benefit District (TBD) and so on. Maybe that’s what RTD is and it’s the goverment sticking it to the customer rather than the car dealer…

Just another creative way of government padding the tills more. It also appears the Feds are pushing a bill to tax all (as in every single one) freight shipments to the tune of 1% of all costs of transport. That means the cost of all goods delivered will also rise which then means more sales taxes…

Complete rip off. Like stores jacking up prices so they can have a “sale” What you have to do is take the total price they’re charging for the car into consideration. Otherwise it’s like the $1 ebay item that someone is charging $20 shipping for.

In regards to those bargain prices . . .

I always check prices online when I can, before I drive over to the store to get parts. I can do this with O’Reilly, Napa and autozone.

Napa insists on playing their BS games, however

Let’s say I’m headed over there to buy a $5 oil filter

The receipt says $8 regular price, but it was discounted down to $5

I suppose the idea is that the customer will think they’re getting a deal

They usually don’t give you the 10% discount if you show the auto club card. They say they will, but when you look at the receipt, you realize it didn’t happen

The only real reason I go there is because they have a pretty decent selection