Probability of cylinder head/valve problems versus defective piston rings?

Yes, but you’re not looking for old vehicles with crank windows and the most minimal amount of electronic and safety features :wink:

2 Likes

But @George_San_Jose1 is looking for those kind of vehicles :smiley:

2 Likes

Quite true! Haven’t heard from George in awhile…

1 Like

Very easy to do at Hemings, Streetside Classics, Gateway, et al
Lots of pre-computer, non-power drum brakes,
crank windows etc.

I like reading Hemmings . . . they have good articles :smile_cat:

Yep lots of 32 Fords and others still on the road. Of course they have new engines, transmissions, rear ends, brakes, and other modern components like power windows and air conditioning. With enough money though . . .

Many of those 32 Fords are abominations, they have SBCs rather than “souped up” Flatheads.

1 Like

Obviously.

Sure, but for daily drivers? If I’m spending Hemings prices for a nice classic, it’s not getting put into the parking garage at my work to get dinged up to hell and back

:wink:

True, but those are the sources for pre-computer, manual window cars.
I visited a few of the showrooms. The cars may look great on your computer or tablet, you get there and see the paint is horrible. Others have the entire undercarriage freshly sprayed black.
But others are beautiful.
No, for a daily driver, I want all the modern safety and convenience features.

I just wanted to post a final update on this thread. The repairs to this vehicle are finally complete. I test-ran the engine to warm up and confirm that there are no leaks, etc, and the cooling fans work as intended. I took the car for a test drive, for the first time in nearly 6 months. It appears to run ok.

I had a lot of challenges with this project, and had to pause the work repeatedly to order parts and tools online. Also, I am very busy at work, and with my family.

The following was done:

1. Cylinder head was reconditioned by a professional machine shop. The mating surface was resurfaced due to warpage and imperfections. All valves and valve seats were re-ground, one exhaust valve was replaced. New valve stem seals, camshaft seals, etc. I cleaned up the engine block mating surface myself.
  2. Re-assemble engine with new gasket set, bolts, spark plugs, etc.
  3. Replace radiator, radiator hoses, crossover pipe, heater hoses, expansion tank.
  4. Replace timing belt, tensioner, etc.
  5. Replace accessory belts, notch alternator pulley to facilitate easier maintenance in the future.
  6. Change engine oil and filter, transmission fluid and filter, coolant, power steering fluid.
  7. Replace EVAP solenoid located under the intake manifold. (No way to access this from above, except while the engine is disassembled, and maybe this is the cause of a persistant P0456 and P0442 error.)
  8. Replace O2 sensor located in exhaust manifold. (Difficult to access this while the engine is assembled, easy to do while the exhaust manifold is sitting on the ground, so I replaced it.)
2 Likes