Premixed or antifreeze to which tap water is added?

Walmart’s premixed is $9/gallon.
Their full strength $11/gallon. After water-diluted 50/50 = $5.50/gallon.

Is tap water OK, or is minerals in the water a concern and premixed should be used?

Suggestions?

Thank you.

Use distilled water or clean rainwater,the minerals in tap water can cause deposits and encrustations in your cooling system-Kevin

While the amount of minerals won’t typically cause a problem, just buy a gallon of distilled water to go with the full strength.

I wholeheartedly agree that distilled water is the way to go. Only about $1 in any grocery store.

You know that white crud that clogs up shower heads? Why would you want to put that in your cooling system?

Distilled water and if you like, you can go up to a 2:1 concentration of antifreeze to distilled water for more corrosion protection.

All water is not the same. Ours needs filtration for native paticulates found in it. Like wise, city water has added chemicals that may react to those in the antifreeze. Unless you are a chemist and know the exact additives needed and have them available , follow the directions or get premixed.
If you have a dehumidifier, I have successfully used that water in older cars but because it is stagnant water and may have bacteria in it, I wouldn’t recommend it either. It’s cheap and not worth it not to use the real stuff.
Buy the way, have you checked your manual to see which type of antifreeze to use ?

^ Thank you, dagosa.
Have not yet found her manual.
Now I wonder if the premixed antifreeze is made with distilled or filtered water?
The Walmart antifreeze says it is compatible with all colors/types of antifreeze.

I’m sure that anti-freeze manufacturers are using filtered water. They won’t run the risk of using water with a high mineral content and have to facecomplaints and legal problems later on due water content.

The water in this entire part of the state (OK) is pretty bad for the most part with various particulates, Nitrates, etc, etc. I can install a new shower head and 6 months later is is crusted up and has to be cleaned. A friend in a town about 30 miles away replaces the shower head in his house about once a year rather than mess with it. There’s no reason to think water like that will not create deposits in an engine cooling system also.

The nice thing about premixed is obviously you don’t have to mix it or guesstimate that you just dumped half a gallon of antifreeze in and now dump a half gallon of water. And like ok said, they are likely using at least de-mineralized water in their mix.

While distilled water is the way to go for sure, I have yet to see most people (including mechanics) use anything but tap water when filling a radiator. A shower head continuously gets new water and new minerals that build up. A car will get a gallon or two with whatever burden of minerals are in there and no new ones arriving. I doubt it will cause any measurable problem over the life of the car unless you live in an area that has insanely hard water.

Is tap water OK, or is minerals in the water a concern...

And you have been frequenting these forums for how long? Yet you still ask.

Much water has flowed through the shower heads.
Each time new minerals are deposited when the water evaporates.

Probably three gallons of water is retained in the Toyota’s cooling system, so the mineral deposits are negligible. But is it enough to be an issue with water pump bearing seals over time?

Think I’ll invent a piece of pipe which is cut into a coolant line and “absorbs minerals”.
Then you can use any water! (Like that piece of metal placed in the gas line which “aligns” the hydrocarbon molecules and increa$e$ fuel mileage.)

@robertgift

Think I'll invent a piece of pipe which is cut into a coolant line and "absorbs minerals". Then you can use any water! (Like that piece of metal placed in the gas line which "aligns" the hydrocarbon molecules and increa$e$ fuel mileage.)

They make coolant filters for semi trucks and diesel pickups. I swear I have seen an inline coolant filter for cars, I cannot remember where though.

Robert, you need to make a prototype and go on the tv show “shark tank”, could be your big ticket.

The last thing most people ever think about is their coolant condition though.

...make a prototype and go on the tv show "shark tank", could be your big ticket. The last thing most people ever think about is their coolant condition though.
First you instill fear that minerals are tearing apart their water pumps and they breakdown in the middle of a blizzard and freeze to death. (That's the Winter commercial). (Summer commercial has them breaking down in heat and dying of hyperthermia.) Then sell them a section of copper water pipe and clamps. We all know that minerals adhere to CU pipe, so the claim is not without merit. Could sell this along with the "Green" Solar Clothes Dryer: 25-ft rope and a dozen clothespins. (Actually, as a green person, I hang our clothes in the garage. HOA does not allow outdoor clotheslines. Can they do that?)

Guys, I believe Robert likes to pull our legs from time to time-Kevin

Guys, I believe Robert likes to pull our legs from time to time-Kevin
Just here, with my Miracle Mineral Eliminator.

Couldn’t be no worse then the"McGruder Extruder"-Kevin