Premium gas better for cold weather start?

The only time I had a problem in -20 F weather was on the interstate. A lot of cars were off in the breakdown lane. I was out in the passing lane going about 70 mph and just remarked to my wife how well our car seemed to be running when the engine began to stumble. I moved into the right hand lane where there was an exit. The car died going down the exit and I coasted right up to the gas pumps. The mechanic came out, took off the air cleaner and found ice had built up in the horn of the carburetor. He took out a chunk of ice, poured a bottle of Heet in the gas tank and advised me to drive around town for about 5 minutes before going back on the interstate. All he wanted to charge me for was the gas line antifreeze, but I made him take more money for his time. My car at the time was a.1968 AMC 6 cylinder Javelin and this was in 1972. Apparently, the Venturi effect allowed the ice to build up in the carburetor. I donā€™t think the problem would happen with fuel injection. I had no more problem once we got back on the interstate. After that experience, I would add a bottle of gasoline anti freeze to a tank of gas.

Good one, Iā€™ve seen air filters on Semi Tractors plug in severe weather.
They simply suck themselves full of snow, and on the haul road at 30/40 or
50 below that can be seriously bad news

I let my son take my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass with him when he attended a college 50 miles from home. I had told him to keep the gas tank at least half full in the cold weather. My warning, as I was sure it would, fell on deaf ears. He decided to use the car when the temperature was below zero. The car started, but he got about a block off campus and it died and wouldnā€™t restart. My son was on my motor club plan, so he had the car towed back to campus. The tow truck driver said that the fuel pump was bad. When my son called, I told him that I thought the gas line was frozen. I told him to go to the grocery store down the street from campus and I bet in the hardware and auto section he might find a bottle of gas line antifreeze. When he asked about the cost, I said it might be as much as $2. I told him to pour the bottle into the gas tank and let the car sit a couple of days. I told.him that once the car starts, warm it up and then go fill the gas tank. A few days later he called and said that he was able to start the engine and did go and fill the gas tank. He also said the bottle of gas line antifreeze cost less than a dollar. One of his classmates had the same problem and my son told him the remedy. This classmate didnā€™t want to spend a dollar and also worked in the horse barn. This fellow reasoned that he could throw some warm horse manure under his car and the heat would thaw the gas line. It didnā€™t work. The friend had to take my sonā€™s advice and part with a dollar for a bottle of gas line antifreeze. He also wound up with a car that smelled like horse manure.

1 Like

Lol! Thatā€™s a good one. Yep I run with 1/2 tank rule especially in the
winter. More air space allows for more condensationā€¦

I run 1/2 tank or higher in the winter for safety in making sure I have gas if I get stranded. You donā€™t need to worry about condensation anymore since tanks are pressurized.

1 Like

Pressurized stops condensation?

Wouldnā€™t a pre-luber do this better? I wanted to install one, but it cost more than I wanted to pay.

Slick 50? Work?

Is that a joke? Slick50 IS a joke. Itā€™s totally worthless. Great marketing into fooling people to think that by adding Teflon to an oil and the oil will somehow magically stick to cylinder walls and bearings and make the engine run smoother.

Dupont - the inventor of Teflon (and owner of the trademark name Teflon) told the manufacturer of Slick-50 to remove the name Teflon from all their advertising because they donā€™t want Teflon to be associated with a scam product like that. Thatā€™s why Slick-50 now uses PTFE which is the chemical name for Teflon.

2 Likes

Calm down lol

Yes, how is moisture going to get into a closed pressurized system? Consider too, Ethanol helps absorb waterā€¦my wife is much more daring in the winter than I am with the tank and regularly runs them under 1/4 tank (I will happily sleep on the couch when I tell her I told you so after she finally burns up a fuel pumpā€¦) even in the winterā€¦never had a condensation issue

Pyrolord314 : NO TANKS ARE NOT PRESSURIZED!!! They are sealed for emissions. BUT NOT PRESSURIZED!
There are gas additives the prevent winter freezing. Premium gas will ONLY cost you more per gal.
There is a summer and winter formula for gas.

Iā€™m so glad you mentioned this. Hereā€™s what I experienced: One spark plug went out and it took weeks before my mechanic would fix it. Since it ran rough, I tried putting a few gallon of 92 octane with my regular gas. It still ran rough, but definitely much better. But 2 things I noticed. 1.) My mileage increased at least 4-5 miles per gallon. 2.) My car heats up quicker which is a plus for the winter, and for winter gas mileage. Now for every 7gallons of regular, I add a half a gallon of 92, which here in N.C. will only cost me $.25 more. As was said, adding any more than that could be counter productive.