"Powernation" Tried Everything to Free up a Rusted-Out Engine

An interesting video (under 9-minutes…) on the breaking down of a really rusted old engine by “POWERNATION 2”

Isn’t the conventional way is using a hydraulic press to press the frozen pistons out the bottom of the block.
Then the cylinders would have the ridge removed by a machine shop?

I cannot say what the conventional way is as I have everything they used to free up the pistons, including the air hammer… I personally would prefer to finesse the pistons out with days of soaking the pistons in “penetrating oils and other solutions” in an attempt to free them verses ramming them out with brute force… I’m not saying I would not take the block in to a machine shop if all else failed, but then I would know that “Brute Force” was needed…

Too bad the video did not go on to show the engine operating after a rebuild. It had already been bored .040 (forty-thousands) over in the past…

Thanks for the vdo. Very interesting to see how “impossible” problems can still be solved. I only watched the last 2-3 minutes, and from that the key to the solution looked to be removing the crankshaft and pounding the pistons out with an air-hammer. Were there other key ideas learned , or key-products?

A few years ago I decided to see if I could free up a solidly rust-frozen 1/2 galvanized pipe fitting from a pipe. I found it buried, probably for 50 + years. At one time was part of a sprinkling system. Perfect access, done on a work bench. I tried everything I could think of, penetrants soaking for days , map/oxy heat, could never get the pipe to rotate out of the fitting. My guess was the only method that might have freed that stubborn connection was an oxy acetylene torch.

ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil and time works pretty good, and if the cylinder has a ring ridge at the top that the pistons will not go past, then they make a ridge reamer that cuts the ridge out enough to get the pistons out, but the block WILL have to be bored if rebuilt properly…

You can go to their website Powernationtv.com to see all the videos on this build. In my area, they broadcast their shows on TV between 1:00 AM and 3:30 AM Sunday morn. I record them on my DVR and watch them later. I believe that series was from the show “Music City Trucks”.

The engine build would probably have been done on the show “Engine Power” if it was rebuilt at all. They stated that they were getting another engine right at the start and that one was probably already built at “Engine Power”. Their other shows are “Carcus” and “Detroit Muscle”

I’ve never seen an engine where the pistons could come out the bottom,

Push from the bottom to get them out the top

Interesting video. On you tube Dave out of Utah somewhere has some interesting engine rebuilding videos. Off topic but I ran across an old guy on YouTube that said any machining on a block magnetizes it and make cleaning out all the metal pieces impossible. Said you have to demagnify first, then clean it. Unclear how you do that.

That block was toast, no sense doing any more work on it. It’s already 40 over and completely destroyed cylinder walls that will require a lot of material be removed. It’s toast. Sitting with water in the block? Nothing is worth saving IMO.

1 Like

I haven’t seen anyone go to that extreme on an engine before but the process does exist. Remember the bulk erasers for computer discs? Same principal- alternating electric pulses.

Fun video, but wasn’t very scientific. To truly test which lubricant brew actually would work - you need to use the same brew in all cylinders. Wait a few days and see if it worked. By using different formulas in each of the cylinders - you have no idea which one (if any) worked. If just one of the formulas didn’t work, then you may never be able to turn the crank.

1 Like

As far as cleaning up the block, on now TV show they were building a stroked 350 SBC. After stripping the block they did a ‘shake and bake’. The block was placed into big rotating drum that rotated and heated the block to a high temperature.

Of course a Ford in-line 300 long block runs $2000-2600. Adding performance parts to a 300 will yield some games but nothing like dropping in an FE or a Coyote.
Powernation was just playing around with the engine. They replace the engine and likely the transmission in the

Didn’t they come out the bottom in the vdo? In any event pushing the pistons out the top is how I’ve usually seen it demonstrated; but I always thought the primary motivation for the preference for that method is b/c to push them out the bottom you have to first remove the crankshaft; i.e. the time you invest to remove the crankshaft is better spent removing the ridge so you can push them out the top. Or are there other factors?

The crankshaft main journal bearing mounts block the piston removal from the bottom of the block.

1 Like

No, they turned the engine over and air hammered the rods to push the piston and rod out the top…

Pushing pistons out the top is standard practice as most of the time the entire piston won’t clear the main cap web, the shirt will come out partly but it will bottom out on the webbing before the piston clears the cylinder bore…

And yes, there are some blocks that will allow the piston to come out the bottom, but as a rule of thumb, they come out the top…

Edit: Nevada_545 hit enter 1st… lol

Ok, I see what you mean. Confused b/c at 7:13 in the vdo they are clearly pushing the pistons down with an air hammer, and just prior to that they removed the crankshaft, but all that was apparently done just to lube & free the pistons up so they could be pushed out the top.

Well George, how about watching and paying attention to the rest of the video…
At 7:22, 7:23, 7:24 and 7:25 they show big words explaining in detail what they are doing, as well as the engine block turned back upside down pushing the pistons out as I described in the prior post…

You folks seem pretty exacting today … lol

1 Like