Power Steering Pump 03 Windstar

On an out-of-town trip yesterday, the power steering pump on my 03 Windstar made a bunch of groaning, howling noises, and about an hour later I had no power steering. I got the thing home with great physical effort on corners, and now I need to fix it. Can anyone advise what a typical price might be? Google shows pumps at maybe 150-200 dollars, but how about labor? I am in Charlotte, N. C. Anyone know a good mechanic for this kind of work? Many thanks…I am really dumb when it comes to this…

First, check the fluid level in the reservoir. if there is fluid in it, remove it and clean the filter screen you will find inside it. With the reservoir still removed, put the return hose in a container and start the engine for a few seconds to pump out all the remaining fluid. Install and fill the reservoir with fresh fluid. Start the engine and try turning the wheel. Top up the fluid as necessary. Any improvement?

Frequently, the reservoir filter screens get plugged up with rubber hose particles starving the pump of fluid. The pump then cavitates, sucks air, and things go down hill from there…

Caddyman I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your response. You are a kind and generous soul. I printed your instructions and went out to the car to try to do as you recommended. When I opened the hood I immediately saw that the top on the power steering fluid reservoir was not on the reservoir but laying adjacent to it. When I had the oil changed last Friday before the out of town trip, the mechanic checked the fluid level but did not replace the top. Apparently the top “rode” just laying there for the entire trip. The pressure in the system caused the fluid to be sprayed out of the reservoir. When I replaced the fluid, put the top back on it, rocked the steering wheel back and forth, then put more fluid in it, it immediately quieted down and the power assist starting working again. You saved me much money and anguish…many many thanks…