Power Steering During the Rain

I would guess that water is getting on the belt and causing slipping on the PS pump…I used to have a 1971 ford maverick 200 c.i. where the alternator was mounted low to the engine on the right passenger side. I had installed an ammeter on this car and whenever I would hit a puddle that sprayed water, the ammeter would go into a discharge rate for about 20 or 30 seconds as the belt got wet and would cause the alternator belt to slip and the alt light would come on.

Is the splash guard something I can replace myself?

Maybe.

It’s probably not technical, just a piece of metal or plastic that bolts to the underside of the car. You’d need a way to raise the car and support it securely. A set of ramps would do, or jack the car up and then support it on solid jackstands. (you do not want to get under any car supported only by the standard jack which is used for changing a tire- it’s just not safe). If you have neither but think you may want to do other repairs from time to time, either or both of these (jackstands or ramps) would be useful. Tools should be simple, wrenches or sockets, and safety glasses. A droplight or similar would probably be necessary. Before you get very far, open the hood and find that belt that’s slipping in the rain. If you can see pavement below it, that’s where the splash guard should be. Then get a flashlight and look at the underside to see if you can find bolt holes. You can then judge for yourself if this is something you can tackle yourself. If you can, go to an auto salvage yard and see if you can get the same part, with the bolts, and have at it.

If you live where they salt the roads, the tensioner can freeze in position. Then as belt wears or stretches, the tensioner can’t move to keep tension on the belt.
When this happens it is usually silent when the belt is slipping and only makes noise when it grabs.

I know I’m late to the party but my 2005 honda accord has the same problem, any amount and it slips and bam there’s the battery light, its getting ridiculous, I’ve changed the belt twice in the past 3 weeks and it’s still happening, in the dry I have zero issues, none, zilch. I changed the power steering pump and pulley (remanufactured oem pump, and a dorman pulley, someone said to put the original pulley back on), also changed the alternator and it’s definitely not that. I changed the belt twice, first one was a dayco and now running a premium gates belt, brand new, tensioner seems fine but someone said tensioner may be shot without me knowing it even though the tension seems tight as original. Did you ever figure this out? it’s getting very dangerous.

We also have 2005 Accord. Yesterday rain it did once, parking lot giant puddle. I was able to turn left fine but to turn right I had resistance (similar to steering wheel locks but only right). I kept moving steering left & right as barely let car move. Right as I pulled out I felt it release & turn. I almost went left in parking lot but still have to make right turn to street. Southern California floods.

How can you determine if a baffle or shield that was there when the car left the factory is still in place? Maybe the best bet is a Honda dealer with a mechanic who’s been around long enough to know by looking — or with a parts person who can print the diagram that includes shields/baffles and get that to the mechanic. Sometimes parts like that get disturbed during maintenance and aren’t properly secured afterwards. They can fall off, or even be left off.

Another factor: we are having more extreme rainfall events, so there’s more opportunity for these problems to occur.

1 Like

I have the same problem with my 2012 Nissan Altima. You can determine if the cover is gone by comparing to a Chilton’s book or online pics of your car. I haven’t changed the serpentine belt in this car yet but, on my old car, it was not very long…about fifteen minutes. That said, get a picture of how the belt is supposed to go on. It’s very helpful, especially if your car has a crazy way of putting the belt on. Good luck, everyone!!

hey VDC, thanks for your information.i have the same problem. What is new tensioner??

Your mechanic will know what a belt tensioner is, and can replace it if yours is defective.

My power steering would get tight and gout out in my van. it was the windshield drains not working. the right one was aimed at the belt .
the left one was not even hooked up. My husband drove it after a hard rain no issues. Then that night he drove it during a good down pour. Again no issues. It may be the water coming from the top and not so much the puddles. Hope this helps.