Power Brakes for a 1960 Pontiac StarChief

I am the kind of guy that like to try it myself first, and then call the pro if I get in trouble

Look for the sign @ shop that shows labor rates and pay special attention to the one that says “if you worked on it first” :wink:

Thanks…

Rebuilding those boosters requires special tools and skills. Professional mechanics NEVER messed with them, they replaced them with new or rebuilt units.

Brake failure can have tragic consequences. The learn by doing approach is not worth the risk…

Send it in. The one’s I have had rebuild came back looking like new. Also keep in mind you may have to adjust the rod that go’s into the master cly. When you reinstall it.

Great …thank you very much

As Rod said, the tooling to seperate the canister halves is common only in those shops that rebuild boosters. They fail internally rarely, and it’s considered an assembly to replace and send to a rebuild shop.

If you have do vacuum in the line to the power booster, there’s a simple “is it working” test. With the engine off, pump the pedal a number of tumes to purge residual vacuum. Then, while pressing the pedal, turn the engine on. The pedal should drop a bit and become softer in feel. If it fails to, you definitely have a bad booster.