Postal trucks being replaced

Not to worry, you can’t smoke in the military anymore so no need for ash trays. In my day though an ash tray was a red coffee can with water in it. Then they went to plastic coffee cans, and pods, so forced no smoking. I hear you can still access the coke machines though.

I think you don’t know how federal contracts work. If it’s large enough to be a bid procurement, then a panel is chosen. To make your assertion, all of the panel members would have to be paid off. The amount required would likely be more than the winner could likely make over the life of the contract. Why would a contractor give up making money to win a contract? Also, the level considered graft is so low that no one is foolish enough to play games. feds can’t even accept a free lunch if a meeting lasts all day. There is a Good Sam jar that all Feds and contractors on the review team are expected feed for every meal. Anyone caught will give up their job and probably thier retirement. Last, if any of the bidders thinks the award was wrong, they can protest. A different group evaluates the dispute and determines if a reevaluation is needed.

1 Like

Hmmm. I knew a guy that would leave the open bids on his desk while he went to get a cup of coffee. Then the preferred vendor would magically submit a bid a little under. He retired early. It’s like whack a mole. Hard to keep a dishonest person down, especially if he picks those on the committee.

1 Like

A federal contract? I don’t believe it.

1 Like

I taught a class that was mainly taken by active military and recently retired taking advantage of the GI bill. It was like 2.5 hours. It was standard to allow a break in the middle of the class. If I forgot and time got away from me, the smokers started to get adamant about the break. My experience was that the rate of smoking among these folks was far higher than the general population. Has this changed in recent years? Also, a plastic container filled with water would be more than enough to put out butts, use as ashtray, etc.

I guess the reference to a soda machine is that the cans can be used as an ash tray/butt can.

I don’t know when it changed but I thought it would be fun to re-visit fort Jackson, until I read all of the restrictions now in place and was amazed at the smoke free base. Coke machines were an old joke. The coke machines were there but not allowed to use them. You could smoke all you wanted but no coke while in training.

My deal was near Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. I wonder if each base has its own rules or if this is just new. A general a few years back really cleaned up the base and surrounding area. He didn’t take any crap. Anyone using base housing was no longer allowed to have broken down or unlicensed cars at their residence, junk outside, etc.

I am not sure how he controlled stuff off the base but there used to be a ton of strip clubs and “payday”/car title loan places all over the surrounding communities but those all went away too. I am sure there is plenty of underground vice still going on but the area looks much better on the surface. The last strip club got turned into the Uranus Fudge Factory of all things!

All you have to do is declare a particular business off limits with mp enforcement and article 15 threats. It was used to bring car dealers into line that were taking advantage of the enlisted. That was my bil s alma mater and I hear they have snakes. And of course off base housing needs to be approved. Mama and the kids wouldn’t like daddy transferred to base with no housing allowance.

I think the fly by night car lots that were basically loan sharks selling junk at a high price with high interest went away as well.

Seems to me the car lot threat came from the base JAG commander not the base commander since enlisted complaint would have been lodged with the JAG officers. Same difference I guess.

Many years ago I was the Engineering Department supply petty officer on a Navy ship. When in port if we needed to replenish stuff like hand tools we went to the “Serve Mart” on the base, which was much like a giant hardware store. Whatever was acquired there was charged to the ship’s maintenance budget. Some of the prices for such things as a simple ball peen hammer or pliers or wrenches were several times higher than the retail prices at a local hardware store. Apparently, not much has changed in the past 50 years. Unfortunately, some folks still cling to the idea that the government can run things more efficiently.

I also wonder about making something with a 10-12 year life instead of 24-25 years. It would cost less and when it needs replacement, a newer more efficient model will be on hand.

I agree that why didn’t they just order something with the same specs as Amazon? I get the feeling they want something smaller but I would think it could be shrunk a tad without too much engineering cost.

In the last 12 years, what has become more efficient? This year saw the USD price for lithium ion batteries bottom out.

I’ll have to admit that my buyer was ordering a set of tools. Not snap on or anything but high quality. I kinda got upset at the price and said why not the cheaper variety. She won but she was right. She picked a good grade that would last and not round over fasteners in the process. Her husband was a contractor. So I just keep the cheap stuff in the trunk or when I can’t find the better stuff. I guess I never met a budget I didn’t like to trim a little. When I was a kid anyway.