Possibly warped head but hoping just gaskets

Understood… hey at least you knew you were “warping” the rules… sorry I’m silly like that…

If say we were in the jungle and we had to do the same repair and we magically had two sets of head gaskets… that is what would have gotten us out of the jungle without problems… for a while anyway.

The double up is something i have never and will never do… but that instance is where it is used… when u have known warped heads and no machine shop… and an over abundance of gaskets. Just like something out of a MacGuyver episode …

Just idling? Does the exhaust clear after running the engine @ 2500 RPMs for a minute? After driving?

haha yea if anything its “running” so I can get it off the property and park it somewhere it won’t get towed while I find a shop to bring it to if its even worth it.

I did keep it at about that number of RPMs and there was no distinguishable change along with no change in the temp gauge.

I did not try driving it.

Why take to a shop? You obviously know how to do the lions share of the work

Only thing you need to do… is not skip any steps

You probably did a fine job… which was let down by the skipped head squareness step…

Just dont skip that…

1 Like

Sometimes, “good enough” IS good enough.

Sure… “goodnuff” has its place… @old_mopar_guy but methinks that isn’t here… I dunno

I meant double head gaskets to escape the jungle :grinning:

1 Like

Oooooh ! Doh! Lol

I thought it was regarding the state of the automobile currently… haha. Ive seen that done also

You wouldn’t happen to have an old game called Jumanji would you?

1 Like

Driving it a little and now I’m seeing no smoke ugh.

Could have just been moisture in engine working it’s way out.

Be careful with that… you wont get steam type “smoke” when there is no coolant to be steamed…

So watch that… low coolant also does not register thru the temp gauge… again because of low levels of coolant. The sensor is made to be submerged in liquid to report accurately.

@NESkid, you seem to be ignoring the advice about the intake manifold (@NYBo) and gasket and are concentrating on the head gasket. This engine does not have a bad history with head gaskets but it does have a bad history with the plastic upper half of the intake manifold and the gasket. There are coolant passages in the intake manifold and they will leak coolant into the cylinders.

1 Like

Not sure which style manifold we actually have here…

But one of the things most plastic manni’s dont do… is water cool themselves.

The Mustang 4.6 is one exception i know of off the top of my head…

So yes… i can agree that is definitely something to look into @keith

However… the symptoms of a leaking coolant manifold and a leaking coolant head gasket are vastly different.

One blows the rad hoses up like balloons… the other cannot.

Worth a looksie… and a squeeze also…

A few months ago, I replaced 1 head gasket on a V6 . . . GM 3.9 in an Uplander, for what it’s worth

The reason was because of a coolant leak on only that bank

It uses a multi-layer steel headgasket and torque to yield bolts

After I cleaned the head up, I used that straight edge. It was well within specs, not even close to needing “a shave”

I replaced the head gasket, head bolts and also the lower intake bolts, as per the factory service information

I didn’t have any nasty surprises after I got it running again

I hope you mean the “real” MacGuyver . . . Richard Dean Anderson

Is there another MacGuyver?

Of course RDA… lol

Apparently the series was rebooted a few years ago . . . I haven’t bothered watching it

Good plan , it is not very good . We watched the first episode and that is time we will never get back.

1 Like

I have not been ignoring it and like I said why I didn’t get the heads checked themselves. I meant to respond to the intake part but got buried in responses to not having the heads checked.

I believe the upper is metal but as I said I found a lot of oil in the lower intake which was another deterrent from heads/head gaskets.