"Possible" Head gasket issue...to seal or not to seal?

I’ve flagged a couple already for Carolyn and she thought I got off topic. I’m not sure how the flagging thing works now. Remember when we had that outbreak a while back and after 5 flags it would disappear. Don’t know if that’s the case or not. But I suspect his license will be revoked soon.

[quote=“Nevada_545, post:17, topic:95826, full:true”]
You describe a lack of circulation, a failed thermostat. If the head gasket were leaking combustion gas (air) would be expected to be seen when looking into the radiator. Running hot in a short distance and finding the radiator to be full and cool indicates there is no circulation of the coolant.
[/quote]Exactly. I don’t think a bad head gasket would exhibit the symptoms you have. Another thing to consider is the coolant temperature sensor.

I need to clear the air about the Camry…it should NOT be a negative factor in my initial inquiry about my older car that I want to keep running, if possible. I just wanted feedback and was curious about the leak prevention additives I’d read about on this site.
I’m sure many of you have more than one car. The “good” car for the majority of driving, and the “beater” car, for when the teenager needs the safer car (as in Airbags) to do things. This is partly my reason for keeping the old one running, for times when I need it.
Now, the shop did get back to me and said the gasket is blown. There is water in the oil too ( his words). He did say I can still drive it, just don’t want to sit in stop and go traffic. He did not mention the fan, probably due to the fact that the gasket is the big issue. He mentioned putting in a new engine, but I too wonder if this is a wise choice of spending money? Yes, I could go spend more money on a used car, where I don’t know it’s whole history, or plunk another $2K into this one, but now worry about other big ticket issues that may start coming up as well.
Thank you to all who have given me some sound advice and things to think about.

Michelle

Just don’t want to sit in stop and go traffic – Is that even possible ?

A mechanic who says there is water in the oil but you can still drive may have skipped a few classes.

+1
This is tantamount to an MD saying something along the lines of…You’ve had a heart attack, but no treatment is necessary…Just don’t do anything strenuous.

Unless the OP is somebody who never has to be anywhere on time, who never drives through sketchy areas, who never drives in the midst of 18-wheelers, who never drives across RR crossings, and who has no fear of being stranded in an inconvenient place at an inconvenient time, then I think that the only logical questions are…
…am I going to repair this car right now?
or
…and I going to replace it?

Continuing to drive it is…not a good idea…if personal safety is at all a concern.

I think it’s just that he ( shop owner) knows I want to drive it back to my house, which is only about a 5 mile drive.
I’m going down there later today to discuss options, if any.
I might not even drive it home until later in eve, will just move it off the lot to the neighborhood street.
THIS is the part I don’t like…the possible idea of having to go car shopping AGAIN…for a new car this time!
Anyway, thanks again for your comments and concerns.

Simply driving it home is fine, as long as you are doing so in anticipation of having it towed away by a junkyard, or if you are planning on parking it for awhile until you amass the funds for an engine replacement.

Your options are essentially…
park it until you have the funds to repair this aged vehicle
or
park it until you have it towed away by a junkyard
and/or
one of the above, coupled with shopping for a replacement vehicle.

Have you considered that you may have a problem with “change”?
Some people have a very hard time adapting to any type of change in their lives.
:sweat:

1 Like

This still does not make sense. I would urge you to get a second opinion. Water and oil mixed can’t be good for the engine and telling you it is OK to drive seems a pretty dumb idea.

Only you can decide whether or not a new or rebuilt engine makes sense. It’s an economical decision.

The engine and water hoses should have been hot when you touched them. The symptoms the car is showing do not match a the diagnose.

Regardless, you can dump a can of sealant into the engine just in case the mechanic is correct.

That’s a joke, right?

1 Like

No, that is not a joke.
In both my professional counseling career and in responding to various questions in this forum over the past 10 years or so, I have observed that–for some people–any type of change in their daily existence is a trigger for extreme anxiety.

Some people can “roll with the punches” fairly readily, and some cannot.

It’s good to know that we can get psychological treatment on this forum as well.

I’m also here to help with such matters.

My head hurts reading this thread. What do you think my problem is?

Bad head gasket?

[quote=“kurtwm2010, post:35, topic:95826, full:true”]

My head hurts reading this thread. What do you think my problem is?
[/quote]I agree with @Barkydog. Blown head gasket is the most likely problem. But do NOT treat it with sodium silicate.

Man, then what’s my problem?

I think any type of change in my daily existence is a trigger for extreme anxiety, but …

… I can’t remember!
CSA

You have a 2-year old Camry . . . !

That’s far newer than my car, and probably far newer than the cars of many of the regulars

IMO, there is no reason to go car shopping

Ok, all of the recent comments made me snicker…perhaps @VDCdriver has a bit of insight, in that I am having a hard time of “letting go” of the first car I ever purchased on my own some 26 years ago, fresh off the boat. Funny thing is I am ALSO thinking of retiring from my company of 27+ years…this probably has added to my anxiety!
HOWEVER, I also had a bit of hope that the solution would have been fixing the fan relay, changing her oil and getting the brakes done etc (the normal wear and tear stuff), then getting at least another year out of it.
Don’t worry, I do NOT plan on driving it on the FWY!
Too bad Point Loma High no longer has an auto shop…could have donated it to them to learn how to fix things.
And yes, @db4690, I do have the newer car but still would like to have the spare around…
Anyway, I don’t want to get in trouble for getting off topic.
Thanks again for listening and putting up with me.

1 Like

I read through most of the thread and saw a lot of comments on how it’s illogical to keep a 26 year old car that isn’t as reliable anymore.

I say this as respectfully as possible, but you’d think some of these very knowledgeable guys have never heard of vintage car collecting. :wink:

No! Of course it’s illogical! Collecting anything that isn’t investment-grade is illogical! I know a guy who collects old shaving mugs. He spends lots of money on them and because he never sells them he doesn’t make any money on them. Is that logical? Well, no, unless you recognize that collecting things that make you happy is logical in that it’s good to be happy.

I have 2 old cars. One’s a 93. One’s a 91. They have almost half a million miles between their two odometers. They cost me a decent amount of money because they break down more than they did when they were new.

It would make far more financial sense to sell the stupid things and put the money that I’m sinking into them into a CD or even a regular interest-bearing savings account. But, sometimes life is not about making financial sense.

You have a 2 year old Camry. You aren’t going to get stranded. Make the Integra your fun, occasional-use car. Fix what needs fixing. The thing makes you happy, and you’ll be sad if you get rid of it.

1 Like

Should be my last post for a while…I’ll try!
@shadowfax I 'm happy I’m not the only person guilty of dumping money into something that should have been retired ages ago; makes me wish I had not done the Timing belt/water pump and new muffler a little over a year ago. Then again I did get one more year out of her!
Drove it home last eve, but had to park two miles from home as temp finally crept into the red, then got it the rest of the way home this morning.
Checked the oil, and sure enough, based upon other posts I’ve read about head gasket failures, the engine oil looked like “Coffee with too much creamer”, a perfect description. There are just too many other things wrong now that will make it cost prohibitive to justify putting in a new engine.
Now I just need to find a good salvage yard that will truly recycle for parts…I have 5 alloy rims I bought a few years back, those have to be worth something.
:sob:RIP Sugar Magnolia :sob: