Points gap and plug gap for a 1995 Mazda B2600 4x4 double cab (rough running, loss of power, backfiring)

The brake configuration on the Toyota’s and Lexus we’ve owned all had front and rear disc…but the parking brake were drum. The rear brake rotor was a rotor and drum.

As long as you never drove vehicle with parking brake on the shoes would last the life of the vehicle.

1 Like

News flash! This should blow some minds…
I have never applied a parking brake since the mid nineteen-seventies when I owned my last Volkswagen Type 1 and instructed every member of my family to do the same! It has never caused a problem in any way, shape, or form.
I need a parking brake on a vehicle like I need tap-dance lessons. :wink:
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

1 Like

I ALWAYS use a parking brake…and when my kids went through drivers ed - they were taught to always use the parking brake also.

While I cant claim to use the term “never” I can definitely claim that using the E brake is an extreme rarity for me as well…(nearly never). If it fell out of any of my vehicles I really would not miss it at all. So I’m almost with @common_sense_answer.on the use of the blasted thing. I believe I can honestly claim that the e brake has created more problems than it solves on my plane of existence.

I’ve actually seen people rely too heavily upon the device…(that either wasn’t working or adjusted properly)…and got themselves into a “Proper Pickle”… doesn’t really have to happen honestly.

The problem with not using it is that when you really need to use it - it may be frozen. Using it keeps things moving free.

I got use to using the parking brake since most of my vehicles were manuals up to 2005.

1 Like

You are probably correct about that @MikeInNH. I’ve dealt with way too many stuck e brakes… I really hate e brake repairs for some reason…they rank up there with exhaust…which I try to avoid if at all possible.

I like living on the edge…
I run with scissors :scissors:, too! :grimacing:

Here in Florida I dodge gators :crocodile: and hurricanes :cyclone: and swim with sharks :shark:!
I don’t need no stink’n parking brake!
CSA

1 Like

Correct. In the rust belt one needs to use it all the time or never use it.

You chose to use it all the time.

I chose to never us it because I lived in the rust belt during winters.

I worked on one too many stretched/broken cables and too many adjustments. I don’t need the aggravation and life has been good for the last 5 decades without the hassle.

It is notable that I don’t park on steep inclines, though.
CSA

1 Like

Do you only drive automatics? Or maybe you don’t drive in areas w/steep hills. The hand brake comes in very handy w/manual transmissions combined w/ steep hills, especially when trying to begin driving uphill from a standing start.

1 Like

In New York, inoperative parking brake = failed inspection

3 Likes

NYBo beat me to it. In my area of NY. if you don’t use your parking brake, it will rust solid and you can’t pass inspection unless it is working , and working well.

1 Like

I don’t park on steep inclines, as I mentioned. I have many automatics, but I have only 1 manual transmission car. Many years ago I learned to “heel & toe,” (Race car driver method of operating 3 pedals simultaneously), so I don’t need a parking brake to start moving from a stop on an incline.

Also, years ago cars had single circuit brakes and when the system developed a fluid leak the car had zero braking. During that era a parking brake would be needed for a “no brakes” emergency. Now cars are required to have dual circuit brakes which would almost certainly provide some limited braking should one get a fluid leak.

My life improved for the better by discontinuing use of parking brakes, over 45 years ago!
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses::palm_tree:

I feel for people who have to screw around with those restrictive regulations. I have cars in 2 states and have never been to an inspection in my lifetime. I don’t care for unnecessary restrictions, especially when they are tied to taxes/fees/fines.
CSA

1 Like

When I was putting myself through college I worked part time as a mechanic and I’m proud to say I failed a couple dozen vehicles that should have been taken off the road years earlier.

1 Like

Agree with the unnecessary restriction’s I lived in two state’s with safety inspection’s Fla. and Ga,before they dropped them. There were more unsafe car’s on the road before the inspection was dropped than after not to mention the under the table bribe’s to get a new sticker.

I’m proud of you, too, but some of the cars that passed have drivers who go down the road text messaging somebody about eating macaroni and cheese or whose drivers are their own designated driver when the bars close or the drivers are speeding red-light runners or drivers who confuse the gas for the brake pedal.
Didn’t you catch those? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Those are the cars I am concerned with for my safety! I’ve never had a problem with faulty cars on the road, only faulty drivers.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses::palm_tree:

1 Like

What’s the point(s)? I’m trying to plug the gap between this discussion and the OP’s question…

1 Like

Obviously most accidents are driver error. And some states that don’t have inspections - you still can get a ticket if the accident you caused was due to not driving a safe vehicle (i.e. Bald tires on wet or snowy roads).

Did you forget about all of the Burmese Pythons?

:wink:

No, but none around here. I keep hoping to see some so they’d eat some of the little pet dogs that wear sweaters and rain jackets and ride in baby carriages. It’s good when the gators snack on them, though. They’re an embarrassment to the dog world.

With the giant garden plants, palm trees, giant cacti, giant bamboo growing all over, coconut trees, geckos running wild, cart paths at the golf course paved with sea shells, etcetera, it feels like I’m in Jurassic Park!
I absolutely love it!
CSA