Points gap and plug gap for a 1995 Mazda B2600 4x4 double cab (rough running, loss of power, backfiring)

Yup, similar cardstock

1 Like

If the carb has an AAP (Auxiliary Accelerator Pump) the diaphragm may be leaking. I found I could just pinch off the vacuum hose to the AAP and it stopped rough running, oil dilution, etc. and the engine ran OK with that AAP system disabled. 1979 Toyota 20R engine.

1 Like

Since there is a lack of spark when this happens and the coil has been changed already then I would check for power from the ignition switch at the + terminal of the coil. No power means the ign. switch has likely failed.

1 Like

Take a close look at the contacts on the ignition points to see if they are burned.

Years ago I bought an old Jeep, about 200 miles after I replaced the ignition points the engine wouldn’t start. The contacts on the points were burned, I then noticed that the ballast resistor had been bypassed, full voltage supply to the coil will burn the points.

Measuring the resistance of the contacts points (when closed of course) is worthwhile too. Should be less than 2 ohms. I had a cranks but won’t start problem on my truck over the past summer and it was caused by the contact points having 30 ohms resistance. The surprising thing was there was very little visible deterioration of the surfaces. Looked in perfect working order. But they had apparently developed some sort of non-conducting surface layer on them over time. 30 seconds of light filing on the surface brought the resistance back to less than 2 ohms and solved the no-start problem.

1 Like

SO THAT IS WHERE the USA sent its massive stores of points and condenser parts that we have been manufacturing and amassing since the 30’s. I knew there must have been at least 250+ years worth of that stuff on hand…

Now if we could only unload all our drum brakes now too… hmmm

1 Like

Blackbird- easy on the drum brakes. I need them for my old land yachts. I’ve converted from ignition points to Pertronix kits tho

1 Like

Haha @old_mopar_guy… Damn those drum brakes…damn them I say ! Confounded, infernal contraptions…and that is coming from a guy who has no problems dealing with or installing them whatsoever. lol

They just need to go away. I doubt I will see that happen in my lifetime however.

Don’t tell me you haven’t experienced that sudden sort of “sinking” feeling when you realize you have to do a set of impromptu brake shoes…it just somehow never seems to fit into what you felt like doing at the moment or any other moment for that matter. Y’all know what I’m talking about, I know you do…
LOL

I hate them, if I could find a conversion kit for my daily driver (62 Caddy) id convert to disks tomorrow.

@old_mopar_guy Have you contacted Wilwood ? I believe one of their claims to fame is that they can convert any drum to disc.

Of course cost is not mentioned in this claim to fame, but we all know you’re loaded man…spring for some discs already. hehe

I used to have some money, but I recently bought a 30lb jug of R12!

2 Likes

Both by prior VW Rabbit and current Corolla configured as front disc, rear drums. It’s a little easier to change the front pads vs the rear shoes, but not that big of a difference. I don’t mind rear drums. I wish my truck had front discs though. It has drums all around. The problem w/drums on front is that they are never perfectly balanced right/left and tend to pull one way or the other during stopping.

1 Like

LOL… @George_San_Jose1 whatever kind of truck are you driving around out there George my man? We both know its been a goodly long time since trucks wore 4 pairs of shoes.

P.S. …its more than a little easier to do pads than shoes. I’m very proficient at both and I’ve never had a set of pads cause a high speed projectile to fly past my head… at least not yet. I think I shot a beer out of a buddies hand once on a set of shoes…he still doesn’t talk to me. LOL

1 Like

Yeah, those drum brake springs can sure pack a wallop … lol … I always wear eye protection when messing w/ them. The most frustrating aspect is the parking brake cable usually. I have an early 70’s Ford truck, 302.

How I learned to fix my cars, I took an adult night school class on auto repair. 3 hours one night a week, for 13 weeks. The instructor had magic hands. He could assemble the drum brake parts on the floor in front of the wheel, then somehow pick them up and put them on the backing plate. Whenever I tried it, they’d fall apart and land on the floor in a big heap.

Did you replace his beer?

No I’m fairly certain I just pointed and laughed. Was that wrong @Renegade?

Cars don’t seem to mind the manner in which I conduct myself on a daily basis. I’m working on my social skills however.

1 Like

Your social skills are fine.

3 Likes

Yes they are he fit’s right in with the rest of us.

2 Likes

Even at my age, I find brake jobs relaxing. the hardest part is to make sure I have every part and tool within reach before sitting down on the ground to minimize the number of times I have to get up. I usually sit on a large sheet of cardboard. I can’t kneel and the cardboard insulates me from the cold concrete.

I don’t know any other car repair where you can save so much money for so little work.

1 Like

I can easily relate @oldtimer-11 I too find mechanical tasks a form of meditation. A place for everything and everything in its place has a sort of Zen to it.

However you are only free to feel the way you do because you know what you are doing…no need to consult the instruction manual. I’ve seen brake shoes turn seemingly normal people into raving lunatics. Though it probably didn’t help that I borrowed the manual shoe adjust lever and its spring…just for giggles. Even when I don’t “help” I’ve seen grown men nearly weep at the shoes of a brake job… Oh the hilarity.

2 Likes