Plastic cover on top of maxima engine

My car rattles and the plastic rattles in the wind and bangs with bumpe and it has 2,000 miles on it. I have found it’s that very loose, flimsy plastic on top of the engine. A real problem for me as I traded my other car because of squeaks and noises. Any suggestions on quieting it down? And I’m sure the first time I get it serviced someone will break it. I can’t even figure out how to the the screw looking things to work.

The solution is spelled w-a-r-r-a-n-t-y.
When you take the car in for its first service, request that they tighten or adjust the plastic engine cover so that it does not rattle. If repeated attempts do not silence it, then you can request a replacement part under warranty.

I will definitely use warranty but I was also kind of wondering if it was something used in packing and should be removed. Thanks for your input.

Plastic engine covers have become pretty commonplace, apparently in an effort to reduce engine noise and possibly to give a more esthetically-appealing look to the mechanical bits under the hood. They are not just placed there for shipping purposes.

You could just remove it, but I am confident that the dealership can deal with this issue of eliminating the rattle from it.

When you are in the service drive talking to the advisor about this open the hood and grasp the engine cover and show him how you are able to make it rattle.

Perhaps this demo will prevent your car from getting in the dispatch line and wasting some poor mechanics time.

You may want to insist the advisor to go for a drive with you so that the noise is postively identified. I have seen these "new car noises’ turn into repeated trips to the Dealer with “could not duplicate” printed on the reciept