PHEV engine wear with cold weather driving

In a cold climate you drive a PHEV. When you drive in EV mode and you suddenly need more speed the motor kicks in. Since the motor has been off does the motor wear excessively since a heavy load has been placed on it when it was cold?

Are you asking? Or is this a reply to some post invisible to us?

Interesting question. I would think Honda would have considered this in the design. Just guessing here but would think any additional wear would be minimal.

Just curious. With many PHEV cars out there I would think the manufacturers would have already planned for this, but I’ve not heard any comments on this.

Modern engines easily last 150,000 miles and well beyond. A PHEV adds miles under electric power without the engine running. The total miles on the engine will always be less than the miles shown on the car. Cold starts will always be fewer than in a conventional car because the engine doesn’t always need to even start.

Fewer miles, fewer cold starts both add up to greater engine life, not less.

Critically speaking if a PHEV was used on local freeways in cold climates I would guess that some excessive wear would occur on the engine. If then the car would be used on long distant runs with the engine this wear would show up as using oil and fouling spark plugs.

No. Highway use is very easy on an engine. Doesn’t matter if it is -30. The engine warms up and all is fine. Nothing is different from you starting a conventional car in cold weather and driving it away.

Doesn’t matter if it is running down the highway on a cold day or idling in traffic on a warm day. A PHEV will have fewer IC engine starts and fewer miles ON the engine because it has a parallel power source.

Critically speaking , you are worrying about something that is not a problem .

No worry here Mr. Volvo. Hopefully its addressed by the manufacturer building a good engine!