Pending legislation

B.L.E., I figured you weren’t a Fox News fan. You spell too well.

“Opel, may not be interested in supplying parts for North American specced cars”

A company owned by North Americans won’t supply parts? Is Stronach that mercenary?

The future of Opel and its models lineup is very uncertain at this time. Current Opel models on sale have few parts in them made by Magna; the cars are built in Belgium with close to 100% European parts.

Those local suppliers will no doubt stay in business, but like the owner of a Pontiac Vibe who can’t get a part from GM, some parts supply will fall in the cracks. Ask the owner of a Daewoo car.

If we had more European style legislation for the last 25 years, we would be independent of imported oil: For example:

• We should have incentives to buy VERY energy efficient home appliances (Instead Manufacturers charge a Premium here for these)

• auto excise taxes based on engine displacement - Good Riddance to Mom or Dad driving to the hairdresser or office in the huge SUV, Suburban or Escalde (it’s really pretty embarrasing to see the choices Americans make)

I live in Providence but spend 60% of my time in Panama working, where I drive a Diesel - like most other folks in MUCH of the world (where diesel fuel is MUCH cheaper). It’s a 2008 Toyota Hilux 4 door Pickup truck and it’s for my work, I’m a small developer…This truck is FAST, and has a 3 liter intercooled turbodiesel. With > 300 Ft Lbs/torque 1200 -3000 rpm, it gets about 25 MPG around town. The truck’s comfortable, powerful and runs clean, too.

Unfortunately Americans do not make smart choices (and our elected officials are largely “owned &/or motivated” by special interests. Have the Saudis really bought 30 - 50 % of our career politicians or am I the only one who notices the CRAZY laws that have been written to benefit them (& oil companies)

WHY can’t we have this Hilux 3 liter, 4 cylinder dielsel truck in the USA ? Any ideas ? And why is diesel MORE expensive here - it’s cheaper to make than gasoline - fewer processing steps.

It appears on page 15 (b) (1) © " which has a gross vehicle rating of not more than 8500 lbs" defines a light truck suv etc. It appears that a 1 ton pick up truck may not have the penalty imposed along with the emergency and government vehicles. Countryrxman