Pat Goss sez no peeking!

Yes, in Germany, Doktor traditionally meant college professor.

I realize it was marginal on relation to automobiles, but I did compare the diagnostic chart to that used for cars, and maintenance of self with car maintenance because they are the same concept. This was in response to the linked article, which said you should not diagnose your car any more than yourself, which is incorrect in both cases.

I am not a fan of Pat Goss, but as a person who has more than 30 years in the automotive industry at dealerships in the capacities of service advisor, service manager, sales consultant and parts advisor, I agree with him totally. A good service advisor and/or technician asks what the problem is, and a good technician wants to be responsible for correcting the original problem on the first repair visit by the customer. Cost is always an issue, but I can attest to 1st hand knowledge of people self inflicting additional expenses by self diagnosing the problem or seeking out a facility or person who does not specialize in their vehicle, and then ultimately spending additional money to resolve the issue. The idea that many people have is that the repair facility is trying to generate additional revenue (and some places do take advantage of those in need by more diagnostics than necessary) by performing unnecessary tasks, but a professional technician wants to be responsible for fixing it right the 1st time.