Passenger mirror exploded

The manufacturer is not responsible if a rock bounces into your windshield and cracks it. Comprehensive insurance should cover the mirror if you have it.

Mine exploded twice when I ran into the side of the garage. First time just the mirror exploded and cost me $10. Second time the whole thing exploded and cost me $50. Iā€™m a little more careful now. Itā€™s good advice though to drive with the windows closed.

Hey Mew the same exact thing happened to me with my new Honda Accord. I think our Hondas are from the same year (2018) so I was wondering if we could talk. Because for it to happen to the same make of car this is obviously a honda problem. I was driving down the street with no other cars, nothing that I could hit and my sideview mirror exploded. The body of my sideview mirror was completely in tact. In perfect condition. The mirror exploded into my window (thank goodness it was up) and messed it up. When I took it to a honda dealer they kept insisting that I hit something and refused to do anything about. I asked them if something hit it where is the damage? There were like well something must of hit something must of hit and we donā€™t cover external damage. I called corporate and they are siding with the dealer they said the dealer sent pictures of my crashed car (mind you I sent them pictures of my car in perfect condition the DAY maybe, 10 minutes max after showing it to the service manager). They told me to take it to another dealer so I did and the 2nd dealer took pictures and agreed with me that my car was fine and sent it to corporate for approval. Corporate again says yeah but that first dealer sent us pictures that show that you hit the car. So I ask them please send me these pictures because that cannot be my car. They refuse to forward the email with the alleged pictures. They tell me you want to see the picture call the dealer you went to first. So I did and they were like we deleted them so thereā€™s nothing we can do about it. My car is brand new and fixing the side view mirror and the window it messed up when it exploded costs upward of 1k. It ridiculous.

1 Like

I heard a loud whump on my car today. I didnā€™t hit anything as far as I knew. There was nothing in front of me. I didnā€™t see a bird or a rock. No other cars were around. I thought maybe an animal ran out and hit my back wheel. It took me a few minutes to get where I could see anything and when I looked over my rear view mirror on the passenger side was hanging by the wires. When I pulled over to see if I could put it back in until I could see about getting it fixed, I found out it was broken. Shattered. I have no explanation at all. It almost makes me think it was paranormal. It could be some burst of energy or electricity or gas we canā€™t see that breaks the glass if it happens by those mirrors. Yes weird. I thought maybe somebody shot it.

Itā€™s a chevy camaro

You can do a search here or other places. It does happen from time to time so keep your window closed. Could be a stress from time of manufacture, use of the heating element, a stone or something hitting it, etc. Depending on what is damaged, Iā€™ve gotten OEM comparable glass replacement for less than $20 and a full mirror for $50 that matched perfectly.

Sheesh. Looks like I got suckered into a four year old discussion-at least.

1 Like

I was glad to come across this blog site. I had been driving for 3 hours and was almost home. I live on a country road so am always looking for deer, fox, etc. doing about 40mph. Then I hear this loud bang, sounded like I blew a tire. I hadnā€™t hit anything! Maybe something ran into the side but the car didnā€™t swerve. The noise was deafening. I get home, find my passenger mirror shattered and pushed backward. My husband was away that weekend but wanted to know what I did to the car! Thanks guysā€¦ Iā€™m not crazy!

The fact that your mirror was pushed back says something hit it.

3 Likes

You didnā€™t notice this on the drive home after the incident?

2 Likes

I thought so at first, but the noise was not a ā€œthud or hitā€ sound but a ā€œbangā€ like fireworks or metal. This was a paved road and nothing on it. I was hoping, but really not, if they might find feathers or toad something. If something hit, it would have 5-6 inches from the passenger window and power enough to turn it. I was glad to hear of tales from some others who have this strange ā€œblow outā€ happen.

1 Like

There is no IF, something did hit your mirror, That is the only way it could be pushed backward toward the door.

The exploding mirrors that happen are just that, the glass shatters for no apparent reason, but does not move the mirror from itā€™s normal location.

2 Likes

This is exactly what happened to my Cadillac CTS this morning. It is very humid and light rain, I was driving on residential street very slow and a gigantic BANG (thought it was a shotgun blast) stopped and looked around including the car behind me. NOTHING there are NO mailboxes, NOT trash cans on this road, no birds flying, no pedestrians??? Passenger mirror turned in and wires hanging out of it no mirror at all. The car door panel has NO scratches on it. It was really weird. I was running the ac and the defrost at that time.

It wouldnā€™t be totally unheard of to be shot at but if the wires were damaged when the mirror exploded, the wires could have shorted out causing the mirror to move. Some cars can have the mirror turned electrically.