'Parts Suppliers Call for Cleaner Cars, Splitting With Their Main Customers: Automakers'

Getting back to cars, nobody wants dirty air. We all want cleaner air, but at what cost?, and with what unintended consequences?
Some say that the pickup truck and SUV explosion was the unintended consequence of CAFE fuel economy standards that could only be met with small four cylinder cars. The intent was to get Americans to switch from their huge V8 powered gas guzzling luxury cars to smaller more fuel efficient vehicles, but the unintended consequence was Americans going to pickup trucks and luxury SUVā€™s in droves rather than drive those tiny econoboxes.

4 Likes

Maybe there will be a second story to balance out the first that will give the auto makers point of view and how over-regulation is causing havoc in the industry. I wouldnā€™t hold my breath though. Even the new Acura RDXs which I have always had the V6 with has now gone to a turbo four. Why? Better engine? More longevity? Better mileage than 30? Can it still pull a trailer? Everything out there is now a four cylinder turbo with 6 plus transmission speeds, rather than the tried and true and easy to maintain V6. Thatā€™s all Iā€™m saying. Itā€™s not necessarily fake news or made up stuff, although they do that too, but just reporting one side of the story-their side.

1 Like

Even major newspapers like the NY Times have had to reduce staff in recent years. And headline writing has been tending toward click bait.

One part of the NYT article that does not ring true is the statement that electric steering systems 1. donā€™t use power from the engine and 2. greatly reduce fuel consumption. 1 is not true and at best an oversimplification. The use of ā€œgreatlyā€ in 2 is probably wrong; it would be more factual to leave the word out.

The fact is many incremental improvements in MPG and lower emissions continue to be made, and parts makers are the ones doing a lot of the research and innovation.

1 Like

I think that a lot of news organizations let advocacy groups write their stories for them.
A tip off that the article you are reading is advocacy journalism is using words like unfortunately, finally, hopefully, etc in the article.
News has become entertainment with the purpose of selling advertisement, so it tends to sensationalism and hyperbole.
ā€œRisk of dying in a car crash is less than dying of suicideā€ does not sell many newspapers.

1 Like

A WRONG. Theyā€™ve actually reported over the years on stuff that never happened. Not opinionā€¦but they reported it as NEWSā€¦

I think jtsanders claimed that "not everything on Fox is made up, I donā€™t recall him saying that ā€œnothing on Fox is made upā€.

Letā€™s not build strawmen.

1 Like

Ah - Noā€¦He said only the stuff on their opinion shows are made up. And thatā€™s not true. Their NEWS (and I use that term very loosely)ā€¦have just made things upā€¦Or reported on something that never happened.

I just googled Fox News and according to them, David Ogden Stiers passed away. CNN and CBS reported the same thing, so I guess that not everything they report is made up.
Did they ā€œmake things upā€ or did they get something wrong, which nearly every news organization occasionally does.
I donā€™t jump on hate bandwagons just to be trendy.

Gee that was real scientific.