Parking lights

I haven’t been able to find the answer to this anywhere.

How long can I safely leave on my parking lights if I have an adequately charged battery? Just an approximation, knowing that there are other factors that might be involved, besides the size of the battery, etc.

I say no more then 3-4 hours. But it could kill the battery in 1 hour. There is no ONE answer that will cover ALL vehicles.

I had a 1950 Chevrolet pick up truck and a little kid from the neighborhood would climb into the cab and pretend that he was driving. The parking lights were on for about 8 hours before I discovered that he had probably turned them on. I turned them off, and tried starting the truck the next day and it did start. This was in the old days with a 6 volt system.

There is no answer due to all the variables. The size of the battery, number of lights, temperature, and more all affect the answer and differ from car to car. 1 to 2 hours is pretty safe, after that some cars will start and some won’t. The only way to know for your car is to test it.

Well, the rule about using your car radio to watch a drive-in movie is that leaving the radio on for the length of a movie uses less power than starting the car once. So I would say about 80-90 minutes should be safe if everything is in working order. You could probably leave them on for several hours if you have LED bulbs.