Parking direction

Arc forward is going to block traffic from both directions. Besides, it takes more steering effort as you wind it from lock to lock, preferably with one hand as you should turned you body around. I consider a combination of turn signal and reverse light enough communication on my part.

“Oh and try to center it in space. I’m glad you can back in but if you are 3 inches from my car that’s not cool.”

Usually, it is the people who forward in aren’t centered in their spaces. I simply park 3 inches next to them while centered in my space.

It does not add to the life of the car but I always back into spots. It’s safer and easier to pull out snd proceed.

From about my 3rd or 4th day after I moved to the house I’m living in now, I’ve always backed into my driveway.
There used to be a lot of neighborhood cats running around, so that was the main reasoning behind my backing in; didn’t want to run anybody’s cat over. The next was that the street I live on is barely wide enough for 2 cars, so pulling out onto the street is a lot easier than backing out and trying to watch your surroundings.

I do that except when I don’t. Try steering either way with a Silverado 4WD with extended cab. It’s good at parallel parking but it can’t turn sharply enough for shopping center parking spaces.

As far as backing out at Xmart, you have to trust that the other drivers aren’t stupid. I’m not worried about wear and tear when the car is cold; we’re not putting much strain on it in reverse unless we’re foolish enough to be backing uphill. We can arrange things better than that unless we’re in a crowded hilly city.

The other points the OP mentions are for other people to be interested in. One is useful and the other concerns fuel economy while backing up. I don’t have anything to say about that one.

I drive a 03 Cavalier. Sometimes I back in, sometimes I front in. I used to be all about parking as close as possible to were I wanted to go. Not anymore, these days I park in the back of lots mostly unless the weather is really inclement.

I have possibly the worst driveway in the world. It is a real pain in the ass. I live on a 4 lane road that gets pretty busy. To make matters more awesome I have a telephone post right at the end of my driveway on the far side which creates extra problems. I made a drawing in paint to explain it. Anyways, I just find it impossible to back in or out during rush hour cause people are jackasses. If I back in I get honked at all the time. If I back out its just mostly really difficult, especially if I want to go into the opposing lanes.

Driving out is much preferable, so I back in when I am coming at off peak hours, especially if I know the next time I will be leaving will be rush hour. But during rushhour I just find it really difficult to back in so I often dont.

My cavalier is lowered, so I do face that problem…I just try not to back in too far into the spaces. Usually works, though I have hit my muffler a few times.

Back when I lived at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, I used to avoid making sharp turns on very cold days, -40 and colder, because if you turn the wheel sharply while the CV boots are cold, they are more prone to rip. Unless you live somewhere where it gets extremely cold, these precautions probably aren’t necessary.

But when you drive up to the spot you can easily see if someone is there or not, making it safe to back into it. That’s not so if your backing out.

Why don’t people consider that you can hit something you don’t see while backing in? is it only backing out that carries an extra level of danger. Just pay attention when you are backing up, you will be fine.

Generally, the mileage difference pales in significance to other more practical items…like
-driving out safely, loading goods, maneuverability backing up in tight spaces. All of these considerations are dependent on your comfort with rear view mirrors; so it’s all situational and it may be better to drive in forward at times. For example, our 05 RAV has no rear bumper and I’m more comfortable driving forward in back to back spaces. If it’s snowy and in a hilly area, you want to be backing up hill going in or out if you have fwd as it has the most traction in reverse. Practice and be a good “backer upper” for convenience and safety where applicable.

Why don’t people consider that you can hit something you don’t see while backing in?

…because the odds are against it. It’s all in the mechanics of the action.

Before you back-in, you drive past the parking space and see that the space is clear. The odds of something moving into that space before you have a chance to back-in are remote.

Before you back-out, you have to get into the car, fasten your seat belt, and start the engine. In the time that takes, you don’t know for sure the area behind your car is clear, especially the areas you can’t see or can’t see well because of the cars parked on either side of your parking space. The chance of something moving into the space behind your car is higher.

The odds are long either way. I have never hit anyone or anything driving in forward or backing in. My current drive has a bend in it that makes pulling in forward the most natural way and issues just don’t exist backing out the drive, but then I am the type that goes 40 years betwen fender benders as opposed to those that take delivery on a new car in the morning and before closing time the same day the car is back, wrecked.

Just not much to say about the mpg, “wear and tear” side of this thread.