Parking Brake Annoyance

I also use the parking brake on my Camry automatic. The rear self adjuster is turned by the parking brake. At least that’s what does it on my 99 and 02 Camrys.

Same here. Always use parking brake for manual or auto. Taught all my kids to also.

That’s one of the reasons I use the parking brake on automatics, because that is often the case.

I never use the parking brake unless I’m on an incline. I do like to use it once in a while just to keep the mechanism free but otherwise don’t. Maybe you could just rent a car for the test. My Riviera would stick like this if you just bumped the brake pedal, the light would stay on. I’d have to simultaneously pull on the brake cable underneath and pull up on the brake pedal to get the light off. The cable was getting rusted and would stick.

Mr. Harpster06 has been gone for two years. He may have the email notify feature for his thread but he may not even have the vehicle anymore.

3 Likes

I just checked, and the guy hasn’t been active on this website since May of 2014 . . . !

:hourglass:

Oh man, two years old??? Do I need to check the date on every post now?? I’m sure Mike didn’t realize how old this was before resurrecting it. Now I’m wondering how many years some of these go back?

Cease and desist on the parking brake talk, we should be discussing politics and prisons.

2 Likes

I put a bug report on this…and made a comment in another post. Seems the sort order in Recent Posts gets messed up sometimes. When I posted my comment - this post was listed as the 5th most recent post. So I never bothered looking at the date. Then when I posted I noticed that my comment was 2 years later. I closed out and the sort order of the Recent Posts was still messed up. I refreshed the page and the sort order went back to what it should be. Not sure what caused the sort order glitch, but I’ll bet it’s the cause of resurrecting other long dead posts.

Suddenly getting e-mails about posts on what I thought was a long-dead topic totally confused me. Especially since I was unable to post, “Just the front cable, from the pedal to the adjuster, is all buggered up. $20 later and all is well,” when I finally figured it out. Oh well, no longer have the vehicle as of a year ago. Either needed a transmission re-build or replacement, CV joints, front brake calipers, leaking power steering pump, leaking water pump, barely functional fuel sender, etc. 240k miles. Current vehicle has less than 10k, so hopefully I won’t be needing the services of this forum any time soon. Thanks to all the people on here who have helped. Also, I only needed to fix the parking brake because it was the one issue my car had that prevented it from being used for my gf’s behind-the-wheel license exam, and she didn’t have access to any other vehicle at the time.

@harpster06 Sorry to bother you. This would be a good time to go to your preferences page on this site. Uncheck all the boxes and say never on the other options and that should stop sending you annoying emails. Apparently any post here will be open until the world ends.

I have, but it was on the 1988 crap-truck I bought a couple years ago with over 200k on the clock that had spent its whole life in Minnesota. Put the brake on, brake wouldn’t come back off. Got under it and disassembled the swing arm, then cleaned it, wirebrushed it, and lubed the hell out of it and put it back together. Works fine now.

I’m more amused than I am annoyed. But I will no longer be receiving e-mails, thanks.

Whether the parking brake gets used regularly depends largely on the driving environment. In most of the plains states I can understand why they don’t get much use. In San Francisco I’d bet you’d get laughed at (and avoided) if you told people you never used your parking brake. You’d probably also have to buy parking pawls by the gross.

The parking brake does more than just keep the car from rolling. It keeps the parking pawl from unnecessary loading. But, again, it really doesn’t do much in flat regions.

3 Likes

Agreed

:+1:

great idea. How do you like prison food? :slight_smile:

:hotdog:
:hamburger:
:pizza:
:fries:
:cookie:
:doughnut:
:cake:
:wine_glass:
:beer:
:champagne:
:icecream:

Yeah right . . . fat chance of that

probably more like this

:bread:
:apple:
:rice:

:scream_cat:

I thought I would mention: Using the parking brake might have saved Anton Yelchin’s life, had he used it.

I agree that he might still be alive

For once, I’m not going to click on the heart/like button

I would rather “agree” with Whitey’s statement, versus “like” it, in this particular case

There are several situations, where I like somebody’s statement, but am not an expert in the field, so “like” is sufficient

And there are other situations where I do happen to know quite a few things, and “agree” would be more appropriate

If we started talking prisons and politics, there would have to be a “food fight” button in addition to the heart button. Prisons are like hotels though, some good some bad bad or so I’ve been told by prison officials.