Paint over old paint?

I used to set aside a week of vacation time each year to take snow days when the weather was bad. Still you get caught in bad weather regardless. One night it took me four hours for the 60 mile trip. Always made it home but didn’t always make it to work. Open road is one thing but blocked traffic is another.

… especially when they are driven by brain-dead people who fail to turn on their lights.

1 Like

Yup!
Many years ago, my 26 mile evening commute took close to 4 hours because of a surprisingly strong snowstorm and a lot of impassable roads. That’s how I learned to always use the restroom at work, prior to leaving for the day.

How was that offensive?

The greenhouse effect is that glass is transparent in the visible, not IR, and the interior turns much of the visible light into IR, thus heating the inside.

This is the part of painting I never do. Why take off paint you just put on? I know, I know - 'cause of how it looks. I want the body protected; I put paint on to protect it.

Better than the trash who let their bodies rust out.

I remember when it was $19.95, then $29.95. A friend said it wasn’t so bad if you taped it yourself first, and you had to keep the bottle of touch-up paint because no color in the shops matched it. We called it Earl Shoddy.

You haven’t seen mine.

Yeah agree with the taping and chrome removal but outside of the cheap paint, my BIL said grinding marks were an issue. Really once all the prep work is done, it never used to take much to spray a car out. Of course now there is sealer, base coat, and clear coat and the new stuff very expensive. Some years ago I was at the body shop and the guy said he just paid $400 for a gallon of paint. That’s without the additives.

Most people want a better, smoother finish. George asked about brush painting and the quality possible from that type of finish, not just ugly protection.

Even a cheap spray gun and simple fleet enamal can give a better finish than a brush.

I had 2 cars painted at Maaco and one at Earl Sheib. Then I bought a compressor and a spray gun. Did my own repairs and touchups. Bing is right about the cost of paint. A gallon of red even 25 years ago was $400. White was cheaper because the material was less expensive. But fleet paint with limited colors is cheaper but it looks cheaper, too.

1 Like

I have sometimes had to drive in bad fog (south of San Francisco, on highway 1), and bad snowstorms (West Virginia and Pennsylvania, on XC ski trips. Many places you can only XC ski during “snow emergencies”.) You have to be very careful. And there are conditions when you really just can’t drive safely.

I wondered whether you could buy imaging sonar or radar for cars. (I used to work with imaging radar systems. You could likely make radar, and possibly sonar, work in virtually any weather, with the possible exception of hurricane or tornado level storms.)

Of course the costs would be pretty high. Especially if only a few people bought it. And you would have a potential problem if many people used the same wavelengths. You could try to fix it by using random phasing and/or frequency shifting, and for radar, multiple polarizations, but if you have too many people doing it in the same region, they are going to interfere.

I suppose you could use radio communication between self driving cars… If everyone out there had one.

In the case of roads like California Highway 1, near the mountains, you also have the potential problem of rockfall on the road.

Sure, just go to a boat dealership, have a radar unit mounted on the roof of a car.
There are small units serious bicyclists use to warn them of traffic approaching from behind them.

2 Likes

Ask and Amazon will reply…

Only two 5 star reviews, both directing direct buys from the company that makes it. (Booguus reviews!!)

You could buy a car WITH radar. There are a number of them for sale. The cars with adaptive cruise control or autonomous emergency braking have them.

And the parking sensors are ultrasonic in nature. Very short range, though.

1 Like

+1
I really like Adaptive Cruise Control. In my previous vehicles with “conventional” cruise control, I would only use it if the highway was devoid of traffic, due to constantly having to re-set it.

With ACC, its ability to slow your vehicle down as you approach another vehicle is pretty amazing, as is its ability to bring you back to your original speed once the obstacle in your lane is no longer there.

1 Like

Here you go:

1 Like

As global temperatures continue to increase, there are indications that vehicle wraps might not be appropriate. Take a look at what happened to multiple “wrapped” cars in China recently:

1 Like

Well done accel , you will recieve Spam flags for your effort and poor reading skills . The person who started this is not in Texas but near the east coast . Also why would someone in Teaxas drive to California for a vehicle wrap ?

1 Like

Hey, hey, hey
White truck bed liner, get a nice faux vinyl roof!

Heh heh. How did I know back in post 20 that we would be over 100 with yet no resolution? Then the most profitable car company, Nissan, spending their money on developing heat reducing white paint? Sure to be a hit. Ya think pearl is expensive, try particles imbedded in paint five times the thickness of regular paint. The board of directors with their eyes on customer requirements.

Back to my book on heat islands and concrete airports and cities with thermometers registering higher temperatures than ever experienced on the mayflower. Then the memo went out to use the secret code word “weird” and secret handshake to fellow followers. P.t. Barnum lol.

Just another summer Sunday on the prairie. It’s kinda cold here though. I’ve got a sweatshirt on and my cars are in the garage.

Just thinking of you, @bing.

As they say, living in your head rent free. I have a story about the secret hand shake but I’ll save it. Just came to mind as all reading about temps and seeing the use of the code word in the last couple of weeks. :laughing:

Gotta go cut some weeds though. Wish I had one of those ice brush cutters.

Keep working on it if you would like. Two weeks ago, the OP dismissed the idea of repainting the car.

1 Like

Yes. You folks convinced me that was too expensive a solution, and helped me realize that much of the heat comes from the windows rather than the paint. I will try cheaper solutions, like reflective window coverings on all the windows, and maybe strapping something white, or actual reflective insulation material, on top of the car. (Some vanlifers use solar panels instead, to power a fan, or a complete evaporative cooling system. Expensive.) Possibly window vents - though I’m not sure they will work with window coverings.

I don’t really need it to be completely cool. The biggest thing I’m looking for is that it doesn’t get hot enough while parked to unmold the sports footwear I’m using, that was heat molded to my feet. Right now, it gets just barely hot enough to unmold a little.

1 Like

Also, I’ve been playing with an effect that should have been obvious.

When the car is only parked in the sunlight for part of the day, the direction the car faces substantially effects how hot it gets. Specifically, the windshield of my car lets in substantially more light than the tailgate window or side windows. So sometimes backing the car into a parking spot, or where possible, parking in a spot with a different orientation, can help a lot.

For some reason this never occurred to me. :astonished: Do most drivers routinely use this?