Paint over old paint?

I would only have the cover on to keep it cool while parked, not while driving it.

I suppose I could try to fit the roof racks underneath the car cover. I’m doubtful, because the cover I bought is designed to fit over only a few certain cars, including mine.

From my point of view, the cover’s purpose would be to cool it down (and maybe to make deicing it in the winter faster), not to protect the paint.

You see vinyl wrapped vehicles every day, images are printed on vinyl, then applied to commercial vehicles. Some people apply solid color vinyl wrap to cars, it is not cheap.

A vinyl wrap will not insulate the roof much at all. Years ago padded vinyl tops were used to add comfort to the interior. That won’t help modern vehicles, the headliner has a layer of insulation.

I have a white car and a silver car, I drive the silver car during summer months, it has tinted windows. One day last summer after parking after parking my car in the shop, I measured the temperature of the steering wheel: 138 F.

I think that if your A/C system was properly charged, you would be more comfortable, your vehicle is old enough to have lost some refrigerant over the years.

I don’t understand what you are offering to the OP as a recommendation.

First, I think if you want to spend $5000 to repaint your car a lighter color, by all means have at it. Let us know how it goes.

I’ll say this. Much like paying $100 for a K/N air filter to “improve performance”, or installing a large wing spoiler on the back of your car (or truck)…all you’ll know for sure is how much money you spent.

Personally, I’d rather spend just a few hundred dollars and make sure my car’s A/C was fully charged and functional. Serves the same purpose in the end.

1 Like

Here is what I will say, I am sure it has already been said, but here goes…
If legal, tint your windows, even a light tint helps… Also crack your windows, just a 1/16" is better then up tight… When you 1st start the vehicle while the interior is so hot, and they get 130F-140F degrees inside of vehicles, today it is, in my area 93F, heat index 109F right now, so easily 130F-140F interior… Start the vehicle, roll all the windows down a couple of inches to let the heat out, make sure the AC is set on fresh air, leave it on fresh air until the cabin temp is down or equal to the outside air temp, at that time, roll all the windows back up and turn the AC to recirculate and feel it cool down…

When on recirculate, you are trying to cool down, across the evaporator, 130F-140F air and it will take much longer to cool the vehicle down, that is why you lower the windows a bit, to let hot air escape, and on fresh air you are trying to cool down, across the evaporator, the outside 95F-100F air not the inside F130-140F air…

EDIT to say, this is on a properly working AC system, one of my cars is Black and I was just out in it and I was able to cool it down pretty quickly… And I HATE the HEAT…

2 Likes

I think Grunes is in the Washington DC area . I would gladly trade him his current outdoor temperature for what we have here in NE Oklahoma .

Why can’t he grasp the fact that his Silver vehicle is just not going to be much hotter than a white one .

I saw this episode, couldn’t be simpler: take two identical Ford Taruses, except for paint color, park them widely separated in a vacant lot on a sunny day, and record the interior temperature. No Samurai swords involved!

3 Likes

I have the solution. A product called Ventshades. They attach to each side window. They allow the windows to be open 1/2 inch with no risk of rain coming in. If each window is left open 1/2 inch when parked, the interior will not be much hotter than the outside.

I have used these on 2 black cars in Florida summers with only factory tint. They work. They cost less than a paint job.

2 Likes

I live in Central Maryland and have a white car. If I leave it in a parking lot in the Sun it’s incredibly hot when I get back to it even 45 minutes later.

A white car might heat slower than. Silver one, but they will both be incredibly hot when you come back an hour later. Leave it in bright sun while you’re at work and the temperature will be the same 8 hours later when you return to go home.

You might try lowering the windows and opening the sunroof if your Venza has one. When I had a Honda Accord EX-L I could open the windows and sunroof remotely with the key fob. I’d do that about 30 feet away from the car and the interior would be significantly cooler when I got to it. If your car doesn’t have that feature just lower all the windows when you open the driver’s door and put your stuff in the back while to car cools down. Leaving the door open will help too.

Sorry if I didn’t make my opinion clear. I think spending thousands to change paint color to lower the inside temp is a foolish idea. Results will likely be disappointing.

2 Likes

Some cars have a system to run vent to slightly cool car while unattended. Don’t recall brand.

Our white 2010 Prius gets incredibly hot in 90-95deg heat if left with the windows closed, we parked it while visiting relatives and from 11:30AM to when we left to go home at 5:30 or so the car had been in the shade in the afternoon but was still uncomfortably hot inside until we turned on the A/C and got the inside temp down to a comfortable level. We were in Newberg Oregon about 25mi SW of Portland.

+1 to Dave’s comments.

What he describes is exactly what I do, but in addition, when I park my vehicle outside on very hot days, I tilt the sunroof open at the back. (I think that many/most vehicles with sunroofs give you the option of tilting it open at the back, rather than fully opening it.)

I only open the sunroof’s interior sunshade about 1/4 inch–which is enough to allow hot air to vent through the tilt opening, but not enough to admit sunlight. When I get back into the car and start driving, I keep the rear windows cracked, and the sunroof in the tilted position for 2 or 3 minutes, in order to help extract the overheated air.

1 Like

I gave up on painting when you said $5000.

I just tried the car cover. Took too long to put on routinely.

The issue isn’t the temperature while driving. I sometimes leave stuff in the car while parked that shouldn’t get too hot. Leaving windows open while parked invites theft here, and maybe likewise for window vents, though I used them on another car.

My roof rack list a lower weight capacity if there is a sunroof. A sunroof installer said they weaken roofs too.

All my windows are tinted. (I wonder if reflective glass keeps cars cooler than tinted glass. Too late now.) My windshield sunshade was supposed to fit Venzas, but doesn’t cover the whole window. Perhaps I’ll look for another, or cut down one sized for big rig trucks. And look into other ways to quickly cover & uncover the other windows. Especially the liftgate window, because it gets very hot back there, though the tilt makes that harder.

Anyway, thanks guys for the info.

I don’t think anyone here was suggesting to add a sunroof, just open it if you had one. Definitely don’t add one.

1 Like

Buy a Styrofoam cooler, leave it in your house until time to go out to the vehicle, put whatever in it and close it up, should keep it somewhat cooler anyway… Worth a try and VERY cheap…

1 Like

+1
I put a cooler chest with some ice packs in my car if I’m going shopping during the warmer months.

A thermoelectric cooler is another option here.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that use a lot of battery power over an 8-12 hour work day??
Asking for a friend, cause I, I mean he doesn’t know… :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

From a quick search, it looks like the typical cooler draws about 4 or 5 amps. In theory a fully charged battery could probably handle that, but I personally wouldn’t stress my battery and alternator that much on a regular basis.

1 Like

That is what I was reading also and thinking also… Unless you used/wired it to a Marine battery and charged it every night…