Paint flexifier

Aerospace. We use Aeroglaze polyurethane paints from Socomore. The ones we use are black or white. It’s a bit over $100/quart. Look it up on the Socomore web site if you are still interested.

1 Like

Any automotive paint supplier will have the urethane paint, like NAPA. But it’s expensive and you also need the additive. That’s what I said I paid $80 for a pint of green pearl with the additive, and that was a few years ago. I’m partial to Dupont stuff. I can’t remember the name of the stuff but I had a bottle of their metal etch or rust remover and it was essentially that coating. You don’t want to breath it though unless you like cramps. Also you don’t spray that Urethane without a respirator and preferably a SCBA. That’s why so many guys have been dying in the auto body business. I really think you don’t want to go there yourself. If you are going to all that effort, just have someone do it for you.

1 Like

Martin-Marietta?

Thanks.

Thanks. At that price I’ll have another bash with the cheap stuff.

1 Like

Martin Marietta doesn’t exist anymore. It’s part of Lockheed Martin.

I realized I’ve been using phosphoric acid: it’s the active ingredient in the Krud Kutter stuff.

http://napaonline.com doesn’t have it, which doesn’t mean the stores don’t.

The POR-15 paint to which @COROLLAGUY1 referred me does have some urethane paints. The only store in town that carries it is Advance Auto Parts, a place I rarely shop (and the store near me doesn’t carry it). At $10 for 4 ounces it’s half the price of @bing 's and about the quantity I need.

A metal cowl vent shouldn’t need flexible paint. One thing I had trouble with before I realized what was happening is trying to paint sheared metal. If the edge is sharp, it is very difficult to seal that edge and the paint failure will start there. Cowl vents can be crudely manufactured. Look for a sharp or rough edge. See if the paint separation starts there. A thicker viscosity paint like por15 will help in this area as well.

2 Likes

Just a clarification but you have to go into a place that sells auto body supplies to get paint. Sit at the counter, give them the paint code, and they mix it up for you. Look for the Dupont sign or other. Or you could probably order from House of Color or some place on line. At any rate this is all over-kill for a cowl.

BTW, were you at the dump with John Candy feeding the bears when they jumped on your cowl vent?

It’s only been a problem since a bear bent it, and only that part of it.

I was parked at Cienaga [sic] Springs campground in the Angeles National Forest, on a loop hike of the trails that go north (Fish Canyon, Burnt Peak, Liebre Mountain). The ‘peaks’ in the Saugus ranger district are low, the views plain, the slopes gentle; it doesn’t get used much. She also pulled the passenger side door out a little, broke off the antenna and side-view mirror.

I glued the mirror stem together; the next day that dropped below 0° the glue failed - fortunately in my driveway. I found glue rated to a lower temperature, not before a sheriff’s deputy gave me a work order.

You don’t drive much but you do live an eventful life. That picture of the bear chasing the guy on a bike down the mountain comes to mind but I have no idea where to find it. There’s bear spray and then that joke comes to mind of the guide looking at the little pistol one of his charges had brought along for protection from a bear attack. He was told to make sure to file down the sight on the barrel so it wouldn’t hurt so much when the bear grabbed it from him and . . . I can’t tell the rest, but the guy owned a sporting goods outfit in Colorado so think he knew a little about bears.

Every time I have seen a black bear it has turned tail and run as fast as it can. Black bears aren’t predators but opportunists. On a hike in the Sangre de Cristo mountains I passed a cow corpse (dumped by a neighboring rancher, no doubt) being munched on by a black bear and a jillion flies. The bear ran away from this tasty treat; I trust he returned after I got far enough away.

Brown (grizzly) and polar bears, which I have never encountered, are predators; you can’t count on them to run away.

‘Black’ and ‘brown’ are formal terms: ‘black’ bears are black or brown or cinnamon.