Paid shop to replace timing belt and water pump now car is overheating

Cool. Your distributor cap saved your engine from the damage that your leaky heater hose could have caused! An engine that protects itself! That’s a new one on me. :rofl:

Always pleased when a vehicle problem is an easy fix. But I am annoyed that the OP’s first thought and action were to suspect the repair shop and go on the internet trying to find something to use against the shop.

Mine would have been too. In this case it turned out to be coincidence, but the likelihood that it was shop-caused was far higher than the likelihood that it was a coincidence.

Had there been a time period between the work and the new problem I’d have felt otherwise, but the immediacy of the new problem cast suspicion on the shop.

Sometimes that’s just the way life is.

Sense when is asking for help to figure out what happened to your car an attempted to"find something to use against the shop"? I was never out to get the shop or attack anyone, but rather to inform and protect myself from another expensive bill.

Just another FWIW note here. Whenever I have removed heater hoses from an engine I usually cut 1 inch from the end to bring new rubber into contact with the nipple and hose clamp. The friction at the connection seemed to cause a weak spot in the hose that could be easily eliminated for free.

1 Like

I wouldn’t totally take the shop off the hook. After a big job like this one, things like hoses that have been disconnected and reconnected need to closely inspected after the engine has been run up to normal temperature and cooling system pressure. It wouldn’t surprise me that a hose clamp wasn’t properly positioned or tightened, or that a small break near the end of a hose was not discerned and dealt with.

I agree

Seems the new motto is “guilty until proven innocent” :frowning_face:

I’m not saying guilty… but include the mechanic while rounding up the usual suspects.

While the repair may have disturbed the heater hoses, do those who say attention should be made to the heater hoses, disconnect the heater hoses during a timing belt replacement?

1 Like

deleted :stuck_out_tongue:

If the mechanic disconnected them, it’s his or her responsibility to make sure they are reattached well. And to make sure the engine has run up to normal temperature and cooling system pressure without leaks.

Since the water pump was replaced as well, it’s reasonable to assume the mechanic disconnected the hoses. I agree with your statement about the responsibilities, but sometimes stuff just happens. Without seeing the hose, I’m willing to accept that it was just coincidence.

On the other hand, seeing as it’s a 23-24 year old car. Any mechanic worth his salt would probably have recommended, perhaps even insisted, that the hoses be replaced when the pump was done.

I’m just happy that the OP found and got it repaired.