Paid car. NO title and no permanent plates, still at the car dealer

Does the a car dealer is supposed to give me the title on the spot if I paid cash for the car?? The temporary plates expired and they loand me another car until the permanent plates arrives, is that safe? Why they have to verify the VIN Number with the police after I paid?

First, you have failed to tell us where you live, and as a result, the legalities in your state (or country) may be different from states where forum members reside. And, you have not bothered to tell us whether this vehicle is a new one or if it is a used vehicle. Those two details are about as significant as can be in trying to answer your question.

However, I will say that in my state (NJ), the title is issued by the state motor vehicle commission, not by the dealership. As a result, the dealership cannot simply pull a title out of a drawer or from any orifice in the salesman’s body. The dealership is at the mercy of state authorities regarding how quickly the title and the license plates are issued. Usually, when I have purchased a new car, it has taken 2-3 weeks for these things to arrive at the dealership. Most recently, they arrived in less than a week. These things do vary.

As to, “is that safe”, I am not sure if you are referring to the condition of the loaner car (which we cannot see or examine), or if you are referring to something related to the expiration of the temporary license plates. Hopefully you are not driving the loaner car with temporary, expired plates that were issued for the other vehicle. That could put you in legal jeopardy.

But, everything that I say and everything that any other forum member says is mere speculation. You need to speak to the experts. The experts would be the folks at the Division of Motor Vehicles in your mystery state or the state police in your unknown state of residence.

I bought a car last year and it took 6 months to get the title. I called the DMV to fuss, and they said the whole state was backlogged that long because of budget cuts that forced them to lay off a lot of employees.

I chalked it up to the results of anti “big government.” :wink:

Did you buy it from an authorized brand dealer (Ford, Toyotoa, etc.) or a small independent used car lot? Here in Colorado several people have been scammed by small used car dealers. They did not get titles on their new cars as the dealers did not pay the banks who floor planned their inventory. Worse still, when buyers traded in their cars with loans still attached the dealers did not pay off the balance of their loans. Customer not only lost the car they purchased, but still owed on their trade in.

If I bought a car from a small used car lot I would want the title when I paid for the car. Here in CO, police need to verify the VIN if it was previously titled out of state.

Twotone

You need to ask these questions of your stete’s Department of Motor Vehicles (or Motor Vehicle Bureau, or whatever they call it in your state). Bring your paperwork with you and they’ll be able to tell you what to expect.

I am confused…if you bought the car and had temporary plates then why is it at the dealership? You usually take the bill of sale to the motor vehicle department and they issue you permanent plates on the spot. permanent plates are not given out by the dealership. the question now is who actually has title to your car… the dealerships bank? why not do a car check on line using the vin number etc. and find out for yourself.

mshugna–
This procedure does vary considerably from one state to another.
For example, in NJ, the dealership DOES issue the permanent license plates to the car owner (along with the title and registration), anywhere from 1-3 weeks after purchase.

Obviously, dealerships issue the temporary plates, but they can also issue the permanent ones–at least in my state. Of course, the OP has not yet returned to tell us which state (or country) he/she resides in, so–as I had said initially–everything that any of us posts is mere speculation.