P0302 Misfire on well used 01 Legacy

Hello Guys,

I am perplexed as to what to do about continuing misfire. The check engine light comes on and blinks every time I accelerate and goes off. A local garage did a fuel injector cleaning but that does not work. Could it be wiring or the catalyst? What should I do?

One of the most common causes of misfire is a bad spark plug or wire. Did the local garage inspect? Then there’s the coil pack or distributor (whichever it has). If those things are dealt with and you still get a misfire have the compression checked. Is your shop familiar with the chronic Subaru head gasket problems? Have you been losing any coolant?

If there is some reason to suspect a fuel injector problem have the #2 swapped with another one to see if the misfire follows the injector. Fuel injector cleaning rarely does anything. If that’s all you got out of the local garage, find another. (Though maybe there’s more you could say about what exactly they did).

The first step, and one the garage should have done, is perform a compression test. If there’s a mechanical fault one can throw parts and clean injectors until the cows come home with no improvement at all.

You always make sure you’re dealing with a good engine before replacing one single part.