Ozone

I’ve seen a couple of those on the road, but I don’t know who makes them. You should give it a try.

In my case, due to allergies and asthma, an open window is out of the question.

Those things look awesome and like a lot of fun.

Understood.

I may do that. I’ve been seriously thinking about it.

I worked for 31 years in the old radio factory. It was a high tech supplier of comm and navigation equipment to both commercial and military airplanes. Each and every box had to be placed in a large “refrigerator” and run hot and cold per design spec, which was based on need. Normally, military equipment had to run hotter and colder than passenger planes.

These “refrigerators”, which we called burn-in chambers, had large compressors, I think they told me they could cool 8 full-sized houses if made into a/c units.

One day, the refrigeration tech came down to replace a compressor. He went in, opened something, and the R-12 came squirting out into the factory. As you might imagine, I sort of went ballistic.

He laughed at me, which didn’t help much. Once I fell off the ceiling, so to speak, he explained that R-12 is a very heavy molecule, much heavier than air, and seeks the lowest place, just like water I guess. He asked me, “Can you smell it.” Uh, no, I guess not.

I had doubts, so I went to the company ‘library’, and he was right. It is a very heavy molecule, much heavier than air.

If you want to believe R-12 can float 15 miles into the air, that is your right. I don’t happen to believe it at all.

I for one am sick and tired of having trillion dollar decisions made for us based on computer models. This whole R-12 mess was based, not on what happens way up there, but on a computer model. Computer models tend to report what the creator wants them to report. I know this very well, because some years ago, I helped my daughter produce a computer model for a science class at the University of Iowa. I cannot dispute that IF R-12 were magically able to float way up there, it could perhaps possibly destroy ozone. It doesn’t matter, because it can’t float way up there.

There are large quantities of closely related chemicals which are violently cast way up there when a volcano erupts.

Did anyone tell you the real problem with R-12? It’s patent had allegedly just expired, and it was going to be produced for cents per gallon by competitors. Expect R134a to also be found harmful just about the time it’s patent approaches expiration.

Notice there has been no further talk about ozone problems. When all this came down, the ozone measuring people tried to tell everyone we had no idea what was normal, since they had just developed the ability to measure ozone in the outer atmosphere. We don’t hear about it because there is/was no problem with it.

As I say, you believe what you choose to believe, and I will, too. At the same time, as I have said before, I do try to comply with all laws to the best of my ability, and thus do not violate laws on R-12, but not because I honestly believe it is going to harm us.

As far as skin cancer, when they started disseminating information on skin cancer vs. sun, I read the information, and studied it for a while. They tell you how much sun can cause increased chances of skin cancer, but they also tell you that one case of sunburn can increase the odds greatly.

I realized after while that it was better to have some suntan than to protect myself completely, then inevitably get a bad burn. The numbers put sunburn, which with my skin is very likely if I avoid the sun completely, much higher on the danger scale than controlled amounts of sun.

Also, I am 66 years old. Though I feel really strong, my family dies around 85, so I have 20 more years if all goes well. If not, I will die sooner. So, I am not going to destroy what little life I have left by worrying myself chronically sick over all the scare stuff the MSM disseminates, and then a few years later, tells us was wrong.

Well, I’m not going to argue about the effects of CFCs on ozone (or the existence of gravity) because it is established science. Besides, I’m afraid of all those guys in the black helicopters who have been following you around. (-;

Regarding the use of R-12, I use it in a couple of vehicles and I have it handled properly. The fact is that all the existing R-12 will eventually find it’s way into the atmosphere in small quantities. The decision to stop it’s production will effectively limit its damage, and eventually it will all disappear. The CFCs released into the atmosphere do have a finite life of something like 100 years, if I remember correctly, so minimizing future releases is an effective method of controlling ozone damage from manmade sources.

BTW, what did this little rant have to do with the OP’s question (I only responded to address the misinformation)?

Uh, if the heaviest molecules always permanently settled in the lowest places, we’d all asphyxiate outside a narrow band of elevations. CO2 is heavier than Ar, which is heavier than O2, which is heavier than N2, which is heavier than H2O. If you’ve tried breathing lately, you’ll notice that over time all these molecules get pretty well mixed up. It’s true that over the short run, heavier gases can accumulate in low areas, but eventually they mix.

And yes, I’m satisfied with the science behind the CFC ban. The CFCs rise high into the stratosphere, where the Cl is split off and starts attacking O3 molecures. Free chlorine was found in unaccountable amounts at high altitude. CFCs were severely restricted some time ago, so free chlorine levels have been slowly falling and ozone levels have been creeping back up. Good enough for me.

I dont believe R-12 or R134 are used in commerical or home refridgeration applications. R-22 is used in commerical applications it is also being phased out due to ozone depleting properties. R-12 and R134 are automotive refridgerants. Why the tech described in your post clamied otherwise I cannot explain. Something special as to why R-12 was being used for a refrigerator.

Yes, if you are burning hyrdocarbons, you are contributing to excessive ozone production in cities (not to be confused with non-breathable ozone depletion in higher atmosphere which causes different problems) .

I was wondering if anyone would give that example. I do this all the time in my coupe with T tops. Wide open sky with cool breeze from the floor vents. In the fall, same thing but with the windows rolled up and the heater on.

The trouble with the bike is; you’re sitting atop a roasting hot engine, the air going by isn’t all that cool and if you ride sans windscreen like I do, you get pelted with sand, rocks and bugs and it’s too hot to wear the leather jacket.

Now I live in a helmet state and there’s nothing like sitting in traffic with an air-cooled, 1500cc motor between your legs and a helmet on your cranium to make you anxious to move forward…

You make a good point about sitting over a hot engine in the hot sun. Air cooled or water cooled, it’s still radiating heat.

I haven’t looked closely at the new trikes. I’ll have to notice where the engine is located when I do. I know on the old style aftermarket trikes made from old Beetles and Corvairs the rider sat forward of the engine.

I agree that sitting in traffic on a bike is not much fun, I do prefer open roads. I also can’t stand wearing helmets/leathers (unless it’s raining or cold). Honestly, I probably wouldn’t bother riding if I lived in a helmet state (feeling like darth vader pretty much ruins the experience). Dodging the bugs is part of the fun. (-;