Oxygen sensor incorrecly diagnosed

It works well, right up until one loses his job. That usualy happens these days through no fault of one’s own. Note that the US unempolyment rate for November was announced at 9.8%, up from 9.6% in October. Luckily you and I are still employed, but I’ve lost count of how many people I know who have lost their jobs.

Your Welcome : )

Sadly this kind of thing happens all the time, people will get a code and replace a part and the problems is still there.

As some have pointed out getting the codes is just a starting point, once you have the codes you need a diagnostic trouble code chart. This chart will give you step by step instructions on what things need to be checked and how to check them.

The guy at Autozone could have gone one step further and told you about their website that has repair information, it might have had the diagnostic chart you needed. If you go to their website and register(it’s free) you can get access to ALLDATA which has diagnostic and repair information. I have used it and but found it doesn’t always have the information I need.

I am sorry about your employment situation and I hope things get better for you, I live in Michigan and things here are pretty bad.

I have a suggestion that might help with car repair costs, check to see if there is a college automotive program or a vocational program where you live. These schools will sometimes work on cars for people at reduced costs because they can use your car as a teaching tool. I currently work as an instructor and we used to work on cars for the public but because of state requirements and insurance issues we have had to stop repairing cars for the public. Our city does have a college program that does work on cars for the public and I am sending people there all the time.

Since we’re pretty much in the dark about what’s going on without knowing what codes are present, why not get Advance, Checkers, AutoZone, etc. to scan the car again and post any codes back for discussion?

Since this car only has a measly 57k miles on it one would think the problem may be comparatively minor, maybe even something like a tiny vacuum leak, etc.

OLD SCHOOL - YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ME OR MY SITUATION OR WHAT I HAVE/HAVEN’T DONE! Who the heck are you to pass judgment on me or anyone else? KEEP YOUR OBNOXIOUS COMMENTS TO YOURSELF AND GET A LIFE! FYI - I haven’t been on unemployment for anything close to 99 weeks.
This forum is for car advice only - find another outlet for your uninformed and unwanted opinions. GO AWAY.

If we’re honest, oldschool wasn’t the one asking the question in the first place. He just offered an outside of the box solution to your problem. Just because it’s not what you want to hear doesn’t mean it’s not a valid solution. To be blunt, the failure on your part to get the problem properly diagnosed in the first place sort of makes you uninformed party in this situation.

Thank you for a thoughtful response with some solid advice. We do have a community college here with some pretty good technical programs - I’ll call them today. I’m also going back to the helpful mechanic and write down the codes as you and others have suggested.

As several people have mentioned, I’ll get the codes from that helpful mechanic and post them. When I can afford to hire someone - he’ll get my business!

Fo Daddy - what’s this about honesty? Of course I posted the question “in the first place” - and old school did not offer any solutions, valid or not. I am the uninformed party which is why I’m here - to get information about my car - there are other resources for advice about jobs etc. I went to AutoZone on the advice of a friend who works on cars and buys his parts there. I’M ONLY HERE FOR CAR ADVICE - trying to advise someone on their life without knowing anything about them would be like me trying to advise someone about their car!!! ABSOLUTELY INAPPROPRIATE

He did offer you advice, just in a round about way. What he was trying to say is that it would be in your best interest to have problem properly diagnosed by a mechanic, and he suggested an arrangement that would allow you potentially pay that mechanic given your current financial situation. Basically you do poll suggestions from all sorts of free forums and heresy from random people, but these are by no means guaranteed or accurate solutions. So you could try fix the problem throwing $20 and $20 there at based on the various responses you get. What I think oldschool is saying that if you want to get it done right you pay someone who fixes cars for living to do it. It may cost more up front but it’ll get done right.

You completely misread my inital answer but since you wanted to start the shouting I simply gave you something to shout about. I offerd two answers about how to get a “good diagnosis”. The first was to look in a textbook for 02 sensor diagnostic procedures. I then thought that pehaps understanding these procedures was “not your line” so to speak so I suggested as gently as I could that you trade the money you earn for doing what you do best for the skills or knowledge of a mechanic. Perhaps my attemt to be gentle with my apprasial of your mechanical skills was taken as sarcasam but it was not at all ment that way.

A third piece of advice in regards to getting what you want here. Don’t start your post out complaining about how AutoZone or anyone else ripped you of in regards to a service that they provide for free,it makes you look like someone who feels entitled to free work,and free advice.

We send alot of readers to AutoZone and they do very good with the service they provide, no reason to trash them.

zocake, I know Toyotas that have a problem similiar to yours. The solution is to replace updated oxygen sensors and catalytic converter.Yeah, I know its expensive. If your oxygen sensor heat function is triggering the light,don’t fool with it for now. Car will run fine after 1 minute warm-up.

Some of this info can be found if you google your car and problem.Try to avoid the common generic diagnosis. Look for the person who had your specific problem.

Also, if you befriend a mechanic who has the capability to look up TSBs {technical service bulletins} issued for specific problems.

Ok4450 is right.Even a clogged fuel filter will trigger an oxygen sensor code because the fuel/air ratio is incorrect.