Oxygen sensor cost - why the large difference?

I am looking to replace my rear oxygen sensor and notice online that sensors range from $35-350. Why such a large difference in cost? The cheap ones are rated decently on auto retailer websites so why are there ones for +$350? I want to make sure I’m not missing something before I buy.

Are you SURE they are the same application?? Most newer cars have at least two… on before the catalytic convertor, one behind. Lately the front sensor is a type known as a wideband O2 sensor. They are expensive. The rear ones are typically narrow band O2 sensors that are much cheaper.

As far as auto parts go… In general there are cheap parts that will get a car ready for a quick sale that will fail a couple of years later or the expensive ones made by companies that supply automakers with parts they then sell as repair parts. These are the good ones that will last a long time.

So the short answer is… You get what you pay for!

Model/year/engine?

2013 Mitsubishi Lancer SE, I believe it’s the rear sensor for this view.

So there were 3 engines available in this car. I picked the 2.0 without a turbo. Shown on Rockauto are up and downstream O2 sensors. The upstream sensors are wideband sensors for 350 for the original equipment supplier, NTK and a Bosch downstream (rear) sensor for $114.

But then there are “economy” sensors by UltraPower for $36 up and $30 downstream…Which I would not waste my time installing and you shouldn’t either.

I’d suggest you buy the Bosch or Denso (both good brands) downstream sensor for about $114 to $130.

3 Likes

Thank you so much @Mustangman! I figured that’s why the prices were so different. Thank you for the clarification.

1 Like

The rear sensor is a simple O2 sensor.

It just monitors the catalytic converters efficiency.

A Bosch or Denso will work just fine for that application.

Tester

1 Like

Bosch has offered a generic model without a connector for some applications priced well below any direct fit parts. For those who feel capable it can be a bargain.