Overheating problems in mercedes cars

(1)Introduction
Overheating is a very common problem that some drivers encounter while they are driving their vehicles. Most cars’ coolant system fails at some point which will cause overheating problems. Modern cars have a sturdy coolant system to prevent overheating problems. However, Mercedes cars 2015 and newer still have overheating problems, and their coolant system is more complicated than other cars. There are many causes of overheating problems: coolant level is low, fans do not work properly at every speed, coolant leak exists, air in the coolant system, radiator cap is bad, thermostat is bad, water pump doesn’t pressurize coolant properly, head gasket is blown, and more. Diagnostic of overheating problems can be performed easily on cars. In contrast, on Mercedes cars, it’s hard to diagnose the problem because sometimes an overheating sign cannot be found and the car runs good but it still overheats.

(2)Learning about the causes of overheating problems
For the Mercedes Benz cars, there are three major causes of overheating: thermostat failure; radiator fan failure; and coolant leakage in hoses, radiator or the water pump. The thermostat, also considered as the watchdog of the cooling system has two failure scenarios- getting stuck in an open position, and getting stuck in the closed position. Radiator fans failure could be associated with their electric motor failure. The main indicator of failure in radiator fans is failure of the fans to come on. The other indicator of a failed fan is a blown fuse of the cooling fan circuit. within the cooling system can lead to overheating of the engine. The upper and lower hoses in the radiator plays a big role in the circulation of coolant within the engine block. Leakages within the transmission line lowers the amount of coolant within the system thus reducing the effectiveness of cooling system.

(3) The danger of overheating
Over the last 4 years, there has been a rise of the reported cases of fire associated with Mercedes cars overheating. The problem has been associated with the starter components. The problem is vast in cars manufactured between 2014 and 2017. As of March 2017, there had been 51 cases of fires in Mercedes cars due to overheating in United Kingdom. Around the same time, the number of fire cases reported was 30 in the US. The fire outbreak led to the recalling back of hundreds of thousands of vehicles from the market. Recalling such a high number of cars is a clear indicator of how the overheating issue is a big problem in the Mercedes cars cooling system and the whole design perhaps.

(4) The solution
For the Mercedes company to maintain its prestigious name of offering the best cars globally, there is a need to address the overheating issue. The company might be working towards solving this specific problem but more needs to be done regarding the overall cooling system of the Mercedes cars. The repairs of any problem in the cooling system is very high to be ignored.
The solution is exploring the possibility of redesigning the cooling system of the Mercedes cars, taking into consideration all the issues that are pertinent to the problem. The redesigning should work towards providing a lasting solution to the problem that is now a major concern. The solution should look at both the design of flow and the quality of materials used in the system. Solving the overheating problems and costs will not only benefit the end users but also the company’s image and reputation. It will also help prevents financial losses due to recalling back vehicles due to overheating

HUH . . . ?! :confused:

Doesn’t sound like this guy actually has a question . . .

Sounds like he might own a Benz which has experienced some problems, and he wanted to rant . . . ?

Wouldn’t it be easier if he just said what his car was, what problems he’s experiencing, and ask us to provide advice . . . ?!

I think he was just alerting people to issues, Call it a PSA.

2 Likes

Thanks . . . ?!

1 Like

Nah, a cut-and-paste post is waaay easier! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Wow, just like a 1974 Ford Pinto, but Mercedes cost a lot more to fix.

5 Likes

All of that applies to any make and model of car; including the old VW air cooled engines although in the case of the latter overheating was caused by fan belt issues and/or a failed thermostat.

It’s all generic info which does not necessarily mean that it’s a manufacturing flaw. Fires and recalls mean near nothing to me as that is a financial based decision; cost of recall vs dealing with a clueless judge and jury…
If someone is overheating a liquid cooled engine to the point of it blazing up then the problem is with the driver of said car who ignores the temp gauge and warning signs.

This was an interesting read. Thanks for posting

It doesn’t seem like we get any more reports of Mercedes vehicles overheating here than other brands. Might be hardtop compare b/c Mercedes owners might be under-represented here. Sort of like the Pawn Stars episode where they bought a hot air balloon. The owner said “more people are killed each year in highway accidents than hot air balloons”. The ever-logical Chumley then pointed out that there’s a lot more vehicles on America’s highways than hot air balloons floating in the sky.

It’s BS until some actual facts are supplied. No evidence, so it can be dismissed.

1 Like

op has an axe to grind . . . it’s as simple as that

3 Likes

To me it reads like something a beginning engineering student would write, say as part of a technical writing class. If that’s what it is, I’d give it a B+ or A-.

I have a 2009 c 300 that has an over heating issue and I can’t figure out what is causing it the only way the engine doesn’t reach past 120 degrees is if I run the heater even then it runs at around 95-100 degrees?

As I advised you in another thread, have the car towed to a qualified independent mechanic.

1 Like