Overboiling

coolant overboils from reservior

Is this while driving, or after you shut it off? Does it have plenty of coolant in the system? Does it have too much in the reservoir when it’s cool?? What does the gage, if so equipped, read when it’s boiling over?

On many other forums you would have to have a fireproof suit on to survive the flaming that such a post would get you.I am sure you can add some more details to your post,OH and make sure you post is in the form of a question.

More information may help. How about what year Camry and how many miles. How long has this been a problem? Has any attempt been done to solve it?

car runs cool gage shows cool when i turn off car water coolant starts boiling from reservoir just put in thermostat

I conclude the new thermostat was your first attempt to solve this issue. Usualy a gague that reads cold but the coolant/engine is showing signs that overheating is taking place is connected to a sending unit that is not being immersed in coolant, simple things first,the good old system bleed.

If you can loosen a upper hose and slide a screwdriver along side the hose till you get coolant to flow out should bleed the system. So for now until you report on the effects of the bleed we will go will air trapped in system.

You know in the long run I have pulled plugs (let the head cool a great bit) and have seen steam come from the cylinder. You may keep in mind the fastest way a engine overheats is when hot exhaust gases come in contact with coolant, there are simple chemical test kits to tell if this is happening.

The only ways I can see that the coolant could be boiling out the reservoire when the engine is shut off yet the engine be not overheating when operating is if you had air in the system significant enough to leave the temp sensor unimmersed. If that’s true than you’re not getting an accurate reading when running, and the air could be getting heated above its running temp when the engine is shut down and blowing out the radiator cap into the reservoire and bubbleing out the res coolant.

Your cylinders operate at temperatures of up to in excess of 2000F. When you shut the engine off, all cooling systems (coolant, water pump, and fan) stop. That temperature then dissipates normally through the coolant and radiates out the sides of the engine, raising underhood temperature. If your water jacket is half full of air, it will not transfer the heat energy as effectively and it’ll heat up, expand, and blow out the reservoire. And air does expand more than fluid when heated.

I’m guessing that you did some work on the cooling system and never purged the air out of the system. Now the problems may be even more serious, but first you’ll have to correct this one.

Addendum: looks like Oldschool and I were typing essentially the same thing at the same time. Even the same number of paragraphs. Great minds really do think alike.

Unless English is your second language, I’d suggest making more of an effort to communicate clearly when you’re asking people for help.