Over-torqued oil filter housing

Where I live municipal sanitation workers will pick up oil, transmission fluid, and antifreeze at the curb on garbage day, separately from the garbage or recycling totes, but the jugs have to be labeled and not mixed. They will also pick up paint of any kind in the original cans. No provisions for recycling oil filters though. I don’t think there is a practical way for a DIY to deal with the oil filter except to trash it.

I have always considered myself to be quite responsible environmentally speaking. But as always opinions vary.

If you’ve ever been involved with used engine oil disposal, you know the meaning of Cradle-To-Grave.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=cradle%20to%20grave%20meaning&pc=cosp&ptag=C1A005A2B4283&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3210127

Tester

Private citizens do not have the same “cradle to grave” responsibilities that a business has. Most business try to sell off used oil, or any other used chemicals, instead of putting them in waste disposal. Once a chemical goes into the waste stream, the business is held responsible for it forever. But if they can sell it to a recycler, then it is still a commodity and the buyer takes over responsibility.