Over-torqued oil filter housing

You know the renegade is a restyled Fiat, right?

Or take a FIAT and put a JEEP name plate on it.

The JEEP Renegade is built in Milfi Italy.

Tester

I continue to be amazed that after all these decades, after all these takeovers, acquisitions, etc., nobody has managed to make a go of Chrysler . . . from a financial standpoint, that is

Will Chrysler’s fate always be the red-headed stepchild?

Anybody remember this guy . . . ?

I actually saw one of his performances in the early 1990s. It was quite humourous at the time

I guess I don’t know what their problem has been but probably a multitude that is hard to recover from with no money. There are still people around that are Chrysler fans but then they screw up the mini van so people have to buy a Toyota or something. Then it takes dealers to sell cars. Where did the dealers go? Then they had a rash of quality issues that turns off potential new customers so lack of growth in the customer base. Just a downward spiral. Of course then start slapping a Fiat name on them and further cause customer concern. I suppose outdated plants, over capacity, unions, and other cost issues didn’t help. It takes a lot to keep a large auto concern profitable year after year.

Of course then there is the ponzi scheme of collecting money for cars that are yet to be produced in order to produce the cars for people higher up the waiting list. Of course in addition to deep pocket investors although getting a little antsy. Then to top it off to keep investors excited coming out with a semi tractor that will go 500 miles between charges. Lots of truckers go 3-5000 miles a month so lots of time in the charging booth. Not to mention any names though.

Some of these situations also apply to Ford and GM . . . yet they’ve done better than Chrysler over the years

I’m not saying they’ve always built great products, but from a financial standpoint, they’ve not been “the weakest link” either

Ford has always been a family operated business.

GM/Chrysler, not so.

I will always give credit to Ford for not taking any of the bail-out money.

They know how to run a business.

Tester

those filters can be removed , first they try twisting it , if that don’t work they bang a large screwdriver through The filter and then try turning it , if the can gets messed up they cut it off an then take a large screwdriver or punch and tap the left over screwed on part until it comes off.

I never owned a Studebaker but 2 Ramblers. I liked their simplicity.

I wasn’t criticizing you. I was just making a general statement. BTW, I had a 55 Chevy so I know how messy they were, but I had a canister filter on my 1960 Borgward that was not messy as it sat on top of the engine so you removed the top cap and puled the element out and put in a new one.

Anybody else remember cars with a spin-on filter that was on top, and removing it made a mess . . . unless you poked a hole in the filter with an ice pick or something similar?

Rambler and Subaru.

1 Like

Chrysler has had its ups and downs for as long as I can remember. The Chrysler products through 1952 were good vehicles and often rated above competing products from Ford and GM. The styling was stodgy and Chrysler didn’t offer a fully automatic transmission, just the “lift and clunk” semi-automatic. Yet, these units after WW II were rugged and reliable. Chrysler down sized its entire line for the 1953 model year, but its products were still reliable. In fact, next to Checker, Plymouths saw a lot of use in taxicab service. Chrysler brought out its hemispherical combustion chamber engine in 1951. It became an option in the DeSoto in 1952 and a version became available in the Dodge in 1953. Unfortunately, the performance was hampered by the “lift and clunk” transmission until the fully automatic PowerFlyte came along in 1954. Customers, however, didn’t take to the stodgy downsized styling. The “forward look” styling was introduced in 1955 and Chrysler’s products were again competitive. Then, in 1957, the Virgil Exner’s tail finned creations hit the showrooms. Unfortunately, the assembly quality was poor. By 1960, Chrysler was almost bankrupt. The quality was improved and by 1963, Chrysler had enough faith in its products to offer a five year 50,000 mile warranty. Unfortunately, by the end of the 1960s, the quality of Chrysler’s products again slipped. Chrysler’s products deteriorated until the early 1980s when Lee Iacocca became CEO. The quality of Chrysler’s products improved and Chrysler’s stock really increased in value. However, Iacocca retired and Chrysler slipped back to its old ways.
Chrysler had some good products. Until 1957, the bodies were built by Budd. The Chrysler Hemi was a great engine. Chrysler TorqueFlyte which came along in 1957 was state of the art for its time. IMHO, the K cars introduced in 1981 (Plymouth Reliant and Dodge Aries) offered more than the Chevrolet Citation or the Ford Tempo. I owned a Ford Tempo, but when I drove a Plymouth Reliant out of my institution’s fleet, I really preferred the Reliant. It’s just unfortunate that Chrysler didn’t have consistent build quality.

2 Likes

Stay with me, I’m trying to remember. We had a 66 mid size satellite I think it was with the 318. It was a solid car with nothing wrong with it even though I hated it. Then a 68 Dodge that I later bought that was also ok with the 318 but hard to get the points set right. Then it must have been a 70 Fury that my folks had that was also ok from a mechanical standpoint but things like the radio showed a growing quality issue. Must have been a couple others in there but when they bought a 78 Volairie it was like it was possessed and almost left parts in the street. It was pretty much GM and Ford after that. There was a 70 something Dodge in there somewhere that would stall on my mom all the time. I overhauled the carb about three times trying to fix it and then my BIL diagnosed a little coin shaped heat sensor for the choke as the problem. We disconnected it and problem went away. Once the quality starts to slip even the die hards will not buy again.

Why, as a DIYer, would I want to crush my filters? It’s the same garbage regardless of how compact. And I cannot for the life of me see a reason to dispose of a (well-drained) oil filter in any way different from an oily shop rag. Wrap it in a plastic shopping bag and chuck it in the garbage!

Bing- It is too bad you didn’t have one of the 57-64 318 polyhead engines, I much preferred them. They had cross flow heads like the hemi but only used one rocker shaft. The pushrods for the intakes came up the outside of the block and the exhaust ones came up the inside and the rockers all crossed over the rocker arm

I don’t know what anyone’s definition of “just started selling” but Fiat came back to US in 2011. .

My 05 4runner with the 4.0L had a spin-on filter that was on top facing down. However Toyota had it sitting in a little cup to catch any oil that came out when you pulled the filter. Then at the bottom of the cup was a plug you could pull to drain the oil into something. Probably the easiest oil filter I ever had to replace.

Maybe that’s because you’re existing in a bubble? It certainly seems like no big deal when viewed from our own little universes but in reality, it is a big deal when you add them all up-

California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery reported if all of the spin-on filters sold annually in California were recycled, there’d be enough steel to build three large sports stadiums.

“California alone generates 67 million used automotive filters per year,” said Bill McKnight training team leader for MAHLE. “That’s a substantial amount of waste.”

To get the most from used oil filters, some propose a better way to dispose of them is to separate the steel from the rubber and paper components before grinding them up instead of crushing the entire filter. This would reduce the amount of waste going into landfills.

That’s just one state!

So not only the steel but the trapped oil that will eventually leach out into the soil. Consider what someone else posted, 420 MILLION filters every year are consumed (and disposed of) in the US. Since only 88 million are recycled, most people apparently share your sentiments. But what does that say about us? Nobody barks about this kind of thing until it comes home to roost. Lots of wells in this area are unusable due to groundwater contamination. Only then there’s a big uproar
now it’s too late

2 Likes

Where does your used oil go? Don’t they take used (even if well-drained) filters?

I recycle it. I used to recycle it for cash at the local scrapyard, but he can no longer run his waste oil burner, so I recycle it for free at the local auto parts.

Don’t they take used (even if well-drained) filters?

I suppose the local scrap yard would, but it’s like recycling soup cans: real messy, and not enough return on my time. I take all my pop cans in, though.

Motor oil is biodegradable. Now, I’m not condoning dumping it down a drain, and the bulk of your oil ought to be recycled (mine is)
but a modest about of oil leakage will be dealt with by microbes. I guess I retain a “99% of a loaf of bread is better than none” perspective.

Remember: asphalt roads are literally paved with petroleum byproducts! Compared to that, my poor power to add or detract will be little noted, nor long rememberd.

1 Like