Over-torqued oil filter housing

I assume you’ve passed some of this savings on to your customers.

;-]

Well, it certainly not dripping, but just like yesterday with the old OEM oil filter housing, it’s seems like it’s only after the car has been driven, I notice a small drop of wet oily stain, it doesn’t seem to get worse. I think it’s premature to tell, but this is concerning after having paid two mechanics. I guess, I’ll keep an eye on it for a few more days. The car is 3.5 years old and 18K miles. I don’t think an issue like this is covered under Toyota’s 5 year old powertrain warranty. Anyone know differently?

I didn’t read the article yet but the first few lines talking about “old school versus new school” made me laugh. I remember helping my dad change oil on out 58 Chevy six that had the canister filter. It was always a mess. The spin on filters were “new school” and everybody liked them. So back to the future I guess and people that don’t like the canister filters are labeled “old school” that just don’t like change. Hee hee hee. History, if you forget it, you are bound to repeat the same mistakes. What next, crank starters? Tube tires?

1 Like

Why not crush the oil filters?

Then they can be disposed of in the scrap metal.

Here’s the one OTC sells that can be used in a hydraulic press.

Here’s the one I made.

Tester

I remember around 1960 when the new spin on filters came in, everyone complained about them costing 3 or 4 dollars compared to 1 dollar for the cartridge type. Now the cartridges are more expensive than the spin ons. Why? Just because they can.

Twin Turbo- I never thought about oiling it because it is immersed in oil as soon as you run the engine but I suppose it isn’t much different than the gasket on a spin on and I oil that.

Thanks for the tip, I will try it next time.

Crushing the metal filters in a press by hand must be time consuming. We use an Oberg oil filter press, Safety Clean picks up the crushed filters.

Oberg Oil filter press

Yep!

Takes a whole minute.

Tester

Most metal oil filters go into the landfill with oil in them, paper filters don’t retain much oil.

Each.
Most of our vehicles use paper filters now so we only dispose of about 40 to 50 metal filters per week.

I crush the filter while oil is draining from the oil pan.

That’s called multi-tasking. :wink:

Tester

Great for a shop…but I don’t know too many DIYers who’d own one.

That question was directed to asemaster, who works in a shop.

So your point being?

Tester

I just take my filters to the recycling center when I take my used oil there. I assume they recycle the parts and don’t just put them in the landfill.

Here’s what responsible shops do to recycle used oil filters.

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/Oil-Filter-Crushers/Recycling-Used-Oil-Filters/

Tester

There seems to be a trend toward overkill in a great many areas of environmental protection. I’m all for reasonable restrictions in dealing with waste oil, etc., but dismantling canister filters and sorting out the components for separate disposal seem to be over the top. Of course I live in a relatively rural area.

And re environmental regulations a well connected local investor had a tenant accumulate a pile of scrap tires the size of a 4,000 sq foot house at a warehouse and the city gave him a variance allowing him to burn them. It was a heck of a fire and before the smoke cleared state and federal environmental officials arrived and took many pictures but the owners political connections kept him clear of any charges. It’s amazing what someone can get away with when they have connections. Every year or so my little shop would be inspected which usually ended with a recommendation that I improve something or other but nothing more.If I had burned even a dozen old tires I imagine the fine would have been substantial.

Read the article again.

When you crush a used oil filter, the filter is suitable for steel recycling with the old media/gasket.

Tester

I had a setup to crush filters in the shop press when I had my own place. I found it messy and it takes too much time. I had a very specific step by step procedure for the tech to follow when doing an oil service, he didn’t have a minute to spare while doing it.

It only takes less than a minute, but after watching a guy catch up on crushing filters I realized at only 5 filters a day over a 6 day workweek, over a month I was spending 1.5 manhours on oil filter disposal. At $96/hour that’s almost $150/month. It costs less than that to let the oil recycler handle it. So I put the crusher away in the shed.

The recycling center in my town has a boiler designed to burn used motor oil (among other things). They use it to heat the facility. They’ve become commonplace. Yours may have one too.

I emphatically agree. But I have to admit that if someone comes up with a good adapter design to allow the use of spin-on canister style filters it’ll create employment for the employees of what will certainly be a very busy factory. :grin:

But consider the Toyota design in comparison to the original small block Chevrolet’s. For about $2 any DIYer could modify the block to accept a spin on filter on the early Chevrolet V-8 but this Toyota set up is seemingly a hostile effort to thwart any modification.