Over heating after new radiator and thermostat

2000 Buick LeSabre. A week ago the hose from the thermostat popped off I connected it and it started overheating. So I changed the thermostat because I already had the radiator changed. Not the hose from the thermostat to the radiator is swelling and temperature goes up but I never let it over heat. Could it be the water pump?

Probably not a water pump. Any high pressure in the cooling system should be released by the radiator cap before the hose pops off. Open the radiator cap when cool and start the engine. Look for bubbles in the coolant as it heats up. If you see bubbles, it is probably a bad head gasket.

2 Likes

It could be, it could also be the head gasket or the radiator fan. Diagnosis by throwing parts at it gets very expensive.

It might be time for a new hose. Double check thermostat operation and installation, also make sure fans are working.

Trapped air in the system. There’s a bleeder valve at the thermostat housing. With motor running, open the bleeder and allow the trapped air to escape. Add coolant as needed when cool.
Are you SURE the coolant is the correct type and mix ratio¿

I sent to wrong person.
There’s a bleeder valve at the thermostat. Open it with motor running to allow trapped air to escape. Top off coolant after cooldown.
Are you SURE the coolant is the correct type and mix?
Apologies to Mustangman for the error.