Ouch!

Here’s what happens when you stick your finger into a nut to pull it out of socket, and accidentally hit the trigger on the impact gun.

Tester

Yuck. I hope that wasn’t your finger.

@Tester

Did you find that picture on the internet . . . ?

Anyways, when I want to remove a nut from a socket, I tap the side of the socket against the floor or the bench

It might take a few taps, but it eventually falls out

Um, yeah that was his finger. Now just make sure the thing is on reverse first before you back the nut off your finger again. Uffda

My son sends me these images since we’re both in the auto repair business.

Here’s another one.

This truck was brought in for a brake job.

As you can see, the topper has tinted windows so you can’t see inside the box.

The owner failed to inform the shop that the box was filled with bags of cement, sand, aggregate, and along with a concrete mixer.

Tester

@Tester

I remember that picture well

Some of us argued that the frame broke, because of rust

Some of us argued that the frame broke, because the truck was overloaded

If you look on the floor, there’s very little rust. And what’s there is from the exhaust system bending.

I once had a guy come to the shop with his Dakota to have the shocks replaced. After he left, I pulled the truck into the shop and noticed that the engine was under a load. Once in the shop, I opened rear topper glass, (tinted).

The box was filled to topper with oak logs!

I called him and told him I wasn’t going attempt to raise the vehicle with all that weight in the box. And he had to come and get the truck, empty the box before I would put the vehicle on a lift.

Tester

That picture very bad ,Now how many of you Guys will attempt to set the depth of a skil saw or mess with other tools while they are plugged in ? (I hope the answer is none )

How bad were the damages to your finger?
We all screw up occasionally, but that one looks bad.

I have a deep respect for any power tool.

A co-worker was working on the vertical mill with a vice and parallels.

One of the parallels wasn’t in the exact position that they wanted. So instead of turning the mill off, and positioning the parallel, they tried to adjust it with tool spinning in the mill.

Before I could get the words out of my mouth, DON"T! I watched his thumb get pulled into the tooling and get machined off. And the blood spray on the wall.

What was left of his thumb was bandaged and taped, and I was the one that took him to the emergency room to get stitched back on.

What was left of it!

Tester

Now I learned something. Didn’t know what parallels were.

Too hard to explain the bottle cap manufacturing process, but picture about a four foot heavy steel rotating and heated hot disc. Bottle caps come down and are clamped down while the plastisol is injected at one end, spun around and deposited into the oven for curing at the other end of the revolution. At any rate one of the mechanics got his hand too close and went around with the bottle caps. Luckily he didn’t lose anything but sure came back from the hospital with some big bandages. Over 40 years ago but I can still see him and sends shivers down my spine thinking about it.

Remembering shop class safety instruction in the 70’s. Supposedly a finger in formaldehyde over the shop door. Story told by the teacher, kid cut off his little finger improperly using a joiner, a week later some one asked how it happened, he showed them with the other hand and cut of his other little finger.

Now every now and then something happens, like to me last week. Fan went out on a video card and caused a work computer to crash. So I set up a floor fan, left the case open until I could get a replacement card. Now I like to replace original parts with original parts, so it worked until I replaced the video card.

So for 5 bucks ordered a used fan coming from china. It was a heat sync fan, but I imagine in china they are paid by production, not quality. My guess supervisior walking by, unscrew screws, no supervisor, tighten screw break head off and toss salvaged part into bin.

Ok, so I will just swap fans, and use old heat sync, slightly different sizes, so I use a vice to try and bend cooling fins so the cover with fan will fit. Crapped out back on sync so heat sync is warped and screw holes no longer align with board. ok back to board a.

Saw a piece of paper in the heat shield fins, go to brush it out with my finger, bad idea, bled like a stuck pig as those fins are sharpened to match any razor. Got a slice 1/2 the circumference of a dime still healing, pic by request, but stuff happens sometimes.

My 1979 Toyota 4X4 truck had the same demise, in about 2007. It folded right behind the cab while at a tire store having its free rotation. Its frame had bad rust and I had had the crossmember that held the gas tank and rear shocks replaced with a solid bar a few years earlier. The truck started out in Indiana and spent most of its years in WI and MN. I learned a lot working on that truck and still miss it sometimes.

When I heard that newer Toyota trucks were still plagued with bad frame rust I didn’t want to believe it. Is it still the case today?

@Tester

I’ve replaced many shocks on trucks WITHOUT raising the vehicle or putting it on jack stands

I don’t know how accessible the shocks on that Dakota were, however

My '79 Toyota pickup rotted through on both frame rails and buckled too, but my '89 lasted about 17 years or so (before getting totaled) with no frame rot problems whatsoever. I thought they’d solved their problem. I was very disappointed when I found out that the later models had frame rot. Both my '79 and '89 lived the same lives in the same region.

mountainbike

Over the years, I’ve heard that people living in Japan don’t hang onto their vehicles very long

Perhaps Toyota designers don’t foresee the vehicles having to survive decades of road salt and moisture . . .

I’ve heard the vehicle registration and tax process is such, that it’s prohibitive to keep an older vehicle on the road

I don’t actually know, but I’ve read that Japan has restrictions on how long an engine can be operated before being replaced. I’ve read that operating them beyond the statutory limit imposes large penalties. My understanding is that this makes used Japanese engines readily available to other markets.

Doc might know more about this, being much more worldly than I.

As regards the rust, it puzzles me, because their cars didn’t suffer this problem. This is just a wild guess, but it’d possible that they had a vendor problem (not getting the quality of frames they specified) that they resolved, and then they probably went back to the problem vendor in later years… again not getting what they paid for.

I think the frame rust problems on Toyotas come from using a lot thinner metal in the frames, When I starter hauling cars in 1984 I heard a lot of complaints from the guys hauling brand new Toyota pickups that it was hard to chain them onto the hauler without bending the frame, It was obvious when it happened because a visible gap would open up between the box and the back of the cab.

I think the frame rust problems on Toyotas come from using a lot thinner metal in the frames,

Nothing to do with the thickness of the frames…but a quality control issue with the company that built the frames for Toyota. It’s unacceptable the frames had this issue. Hopefully they finally got it resolved.

BTW…the toyota dealer closes to me still has a pile of the frames sitting in their yard.

A friend of mine just got his Tacoma back after being at the dealer for 4 months about the frame rust issue. I think his truck is a 2007. It looks like the complete frame and suspension was replaced. And now the truck rattles from every where. Only had an exhaust heat shield rattle when it went in, and getting the run around from the dealer. Just as an aside some how the truck had over 200 miles put on it also.