Oops, turned car off while in drive

I turned my 2004 Pontiac Grand Am when it was still in drive. To get the key out I had to put the car in park, which I was able to do. However, now I cannot turn the key in the ignition to start the car. Any quick fixes? My fingers are crossed

Try moving the steering wheel from side to side as you turn the key. Turning off the ignition while in drive should not cause any harm. If the front wheels were not pointed straight ahead when you shut off the ignition they may be putting pressure on the ignition/steering lock, and preventing you from turning the key.

One time, with my old '86 Celebrity, it stalled on me on the highway going about 100 Km/h. I quickly put her in neutral, started the car, then put her back in drive and was on my merry way.

If you ever do that again, try putting the car in neutral, restarting it, then turning it off (unless you need to keep going of coarse). That might help as well.

To add to the above poster, you could also try, after turning the steering wheel left and right as much as you can, depressing the brake pedal as well while turning the ignition on, see if that helps.