Only one spark plug is getting carbon fouled?

@davesmopar
I had heard of the dizzy’s wearing out like this, but didn’t cross my mind that that was happening to me! New cap and rotor, I hope they put new parts in, but can’t confirm, they look shiny! =D

Those are the plugs I used this time around, thanks!

Will try the Marvel Mystery Oil, is it being used as a “motor flush” in this situation?

@George_San_Jose1 I’ve read of that timing light trick before, it may have even been you who’s post it was, I may even try that at startups to see if indeed a valve issue is at play.

1 Like

I have seen it clean oil passages and drains and even unstick intake/exhaust valves, it is the only snake oil treatment in a bottle that I really believe in for the oiling system, and it works pretty good for the fuel system as well, Seafoam works pretty good in the fuel system also, but not as good in the engine oil… It can/will lower tail pipe emissions when you are having a hard time getting an older vehicle to pass…

Pretty easy to pop the cap off and make sure no wear and or corrosion on the terminals (inside/outside) of the cap and end of the rotor button…
You never mentioned the ignition (spark plug) wires that I remember anyway, of not been changed I would install a set of Belden ignition wires…

Bottom line, It sounds like the spark plugs that you removed at 231K miles looked normal, then installed the totally wrong spark plugs and had to remove them 20K miles later and at that time found the ash on one, I think you can probably pull that same plug back out with the new and correct spark plugs in it, in another 20K miles, and you will see a normal wear pattern on it…

that’s all I needed to hear, you sold me with your confidence and endorsement!

can and will do!

Forgot about that in all my excitement! Not sure if the wires have ever been changed, they look original to me, I have a set of the “blue” NGK wires in a 5-year unopened box, maybe now is the time!

Again with the assurance! If the world is still spinning (and the truck still running) 20k miles from now, I’ll report back!

(Thanks for taking the time to explain things in detail, you and the others…hope this post helps as many as possible…btw, I did own a 72 Mustang many moons ago, so hopefully that grandfathered me into this discussion!)

1 Like

Yup, I would defiantly install them, the Blue NGK’s seem pretty good also…