Older car, low mileage, good deal?

OP asks …

How exactly does one not well versed in cars pick out a mechanic?

Friends, relatives, co-workers, fellow church goers and pub goers are you best resource. Ask them who they use for their mechanic. From that list, choose a shop that specializes in your make, or at least Asian cars in this case. Then tell the mechanic you choose the name of their customer. That gives you a little leverage.

Internet reviews posted by folks you don’t know who they are, sure they could be actual customers, but they could also work for the shop and just posting an advertisement. Who knows? For recommendations, use trusted sources, people you know, rather than anonymous internet sources, whenever possible.

Coincidentally, a few weeks ago I asked and got a good recommendation for an emissions testing shop from a neighbor, worked out great.

Sometimes sellers are unrealistic. You just have to walk away, they usually will not negotiate, at least for a while. One time I was looking at a Neon SVT, the guy wanted $2k over retail. I told him he was way too high, his response was " thats what I need to get so I can buy a new truck". I told him that I was not financing his new truck and I walked away.

A alternative which sometimes works for me “Ok, I understand. If you change your mind here’s my card.”

I tried that tactic once . . . a used car in good, but not great, condition was overpriced by $300

I had CASH in my hand and showed it to him. It was $3000 . . . the correct amount for the car in its true condition

I suggested let’s do this now. A bird in the hand . . .

He said no. He said his price is firm. I asked him to call me if he were to change his mind. He said no. I think his silly pride was hurt

I monitored the car a few weeks more on craigslist

When he lowered it by those $300 I mentioned, it apparently sold quickly. That’s what I’m thinking, because from one day to the next, it wasn’t listed anymore.

The $6500 price already factors in the 30000 miles, and as mentioned the T-belt should be changed and the car should be inspected for any other repairs needed. I would not spend the money to get this car inspected unless the seller indicated a willingmess to take a reasonable price pending inspection. Say $6500- $1000 fot timing belt +&1000 for it being in excellent cond. for a total of…$6500.

Ha . . . I’ve seen this scenario countless times

That seller will NEVER let that car go for $6500 . . . not at this point in time

They might, however, relist it at a later date for a more appropriate asking price

But don’t count on the seller calling the guy who initially made the “low” offer

Used cars are dime a dozen I do not waste much time on someone who is unrealistic. It becomes a nerve grind through the whole process because since they think they are giving you a bargain, then they want to do other crazy stuff (take off floor mats, radio, hub cap etc).

Yep. Edmunds etc. adjust their pricing for mileage and condition, so if its above Edmonds pricing, its above what you would pay for a similar car with 30K. Now the other thing is that’s very low usage per month which suggests a lot of short trips and stop and go driving. I’d rather have a higher mileage car that has been run on the highway instead of around town.