Old Car with low miles: Good buy? Or money pit? (97 Subaru Impreza)

Ha! Lucky for me, I’m a patient buyer, not an impulse buyer. So if the car sells, I wish the new owner luck and congratulate the dealership for the sale.

I’m actually trying to sell my 2007 Legacy 2.5i Limited (heated/leather seats, MP3 player, moon roof, remote starter, 29K miles), and am hoping to private sell it before I make the purchase on this 97 Impreza. So if this 97 sells before I sell my car, no worries. If not, I have a heck of a lot of leverage with the dealer.

And your assumption is right - automatic. Andrew_j, it is a 2.2L also.

I emailed the sales guy and told him he’d have to come down substantially in order for me to purchase. I’m not expecting him to do so.

McParadise, your point of view is greatly appreciated. I may go the route of newer (2002+), but higher miles. :slight_smile: How about a 2002 Impreza TS with 75K miles for $7995? :slight_smile:

Thanks to all (especially mcparadise) for your help/advice!!

Thanks especially to ok4450 as well! (Thought mcparadise posted that last one!)

Just heard from the dealership - they’ll throw in the timing belt replacement for free, but are not moving off the $5500 price they gave me…

We’ll see if another week sitting on their lot changes their mind. :slight_smile:

How are you defining the difference between problematic and non-problematic though?
Does the fact that Subaru of America stepped in a bit on some head gasket problems weigh into this?

Any thoughts/comments on how a car this age/mileage may respond to stop and go Boston traffic on a daily (well weekday) basis? Should I be worried?