Oils - Natural or Synthetic

Can someone - such as a mechanic, let me know

1- If AMSOIL is excellent,very good,good,or bad to use in my new car after using natural oil for the first 10,000 miles - it seems t be a bit costly.

2- What about Castrol Synthetic or another one - any good suggestions as to which one to use.

3- Can I extend my regular oil change schedule for the synthetic ?

If you want to use a synthetic, go to Walmart and buy whatever’s on sale that meets your specs. Mobil1 is often a good deal. I can imagine of no benefit to Amsoil that would make it worth the price. I wouldn’t change the change interval, follow your manual (some folks change it more often than the manual requires, you can definitely take it out to the manual’s recommended change miles).

You can extend the time between changes with synthetic. a few thousand miles. You could go from 3,000 to about 7 or 8. Many ppl say that your engine is dirty after using synthetic and that you should switch it up. This is false your engine will be fine. Synthetic does protect your engine better but you could change your oil to synthetic on one oil change and then go to natural the next. It is said that 90% of engine wear is on start up and natural oil is much thicker than synthetic so synthetic saves a lot of start up damage, especially in colder areas.

Thank you for your reply - I appreciate the quick response and for your info.

The response is very appreciated and Thank you for your quickness.

1- You can switch back and forth between conventional and synthetic oils at will no problems. The only problems were with some of the first synthetics and they are no longer around.

2- You need to use any oil that meets or exceeds the requirements as stated in your owner’s manual. Read the manual. In general synthetic is better than standard, but both can be very good oil. Synthetics generally will lube for a longer time. Not necessarily better, but longer.

3- No. The oil change specification is based on a number of factors. While it is likely you can extend the change interval, you are on your own as the car manufacturer likely has not done the test to prove or refute the advisability of longer change intervals.

1: Synthetic provides superior engine protection only in conditions that most passenger cars will never see. The engine in a Murano is big enough that it isn’t going to worked very hard unless you are in an endurance race running full power for a long time.

2: If you do decide to go with synthetic, Mobile 1 is likely about as good as they get. My BIL uses Amsoil in his car since it was new, and looking into the oil filler cap, my car that ran conventional oil for 181,000 miles looks better than his.

3: One of oils jobs is absorbing dirt and holding it in suspension. I don’t think using synthetic and extending the oil change interval is doing your engine any favors. You have to get rid of the dirt after a while.

4: I think 90+% of wear occuring on start-up is more hype than reality. Motor oil sticks to things pretty well, and it will provide adequate lubrication until the oil pump gets it goin’.

Relax and enjoy your car.

“You can extend the time between changes with synthetic. a few thousand miles.”

Not if you value your warranty.

“You can extend the time between changes with synthetic. a few thousand miles. You could go from 3,000 to about 7 or 8.”

This is BS if you expect your warranty to remain in force…For most drivers, synthetic oil offers NOTHING not provided by conventional mineral oil. There are a few cars with known engine design problems that can mitigate these problems by using “special” or synthetic oils. Those who live in extremely cold climates can also benefit. Just use the oil your owners manual recommends and change it when they say to.

Over and over we have these discussions, and we get the same wide range of answers, mostly but not all based on guesses or personal prejudices.

Tired of being told, essentially, that only gullible people will waste money on synthetic, a year ago I drove my 2002 Sienna with Mobil-1 EP for 8800 miles. This was on a car which had over 150,000 miles and warranty was not an issue as it is on cars still covered.

I then sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs, and found out it was in great shape. Not too much dirt or contamination or any of the other things the guessers insist will happen with extended usage. Plenty of additives left to keep the motor clean. Looked like it was going to be good FOR MY DRIVING PATTERNS to at least 10,000 miles. A different driver with a different car and a different driving pattern may well have a different change cycle. But, I will be changing my EP at around 8,000 miles from here on, unless I change my driving pattern, for example drive a lot in the snow zone.

I have the 5 quarts of standard oil, Quaker State, bought and when this current cycle finishes, plan to run the QS 5,000 miles and test it, and see if it is true the standard oil is as good as synthetic. To be honest, I do not at all think so, but want to know if I am wrong. I will most definitely report the results here even if I am wrong in my beliefs. Enough of guessing.

I am not going to run standard oil more than the 5,000 miles because while I want to know, I do not want to harm a motor I want to last to 300,000 miles. When I change and sample it, I will have a good idea from the test results if it would have gone the same 10,000 miles if I chose to do so, as I could have with Mobil-1 EP.

By the way, it would be nice if one of you fellows who say there is no advantage to synthetic oil in normal driving drive your standard oil the same 8800 miles and told us the test results. If you really believe that, it should be no problem to do so.

One thing that is absolutely true. To protect your warranty, you MUST use an oil and change cycle based on the recommendations in the owner’s manual, including the heavy use fork if you drive in hard conditions. And, using synthetic when it is not recommended does not extend the change cycle for warranty purposes.

Once that car is all yours, you can do what you wish. If you really want to know what your car needs for your driving pattern, test it, which will be different for those in the north for summer and winter driving.

There are people out there who insist you are delinquent if you do not change the oil at 3,000 miles, and the same if it is synthetic. That is their prerogative, IMO, but to criticize anyone who does not agree is a different matter.

Let me add here the oil test tells you so much more than how good the oil still is. It will tell you if your bearing or valve train wear is excessive; if your rings are good; if you have antifreeze leakage; and a lot more good stuff. I think it’s like having a microscopic mechanic who can crawl around inside your motor.

Thanks you for your reply - It is very nice to have people respond and take time and effort to answer other peoples questions -
Again Thank you

As in my response to the previous reply - I want to thank you for your timely response to my question. It is very nice to have such people respond to these questions.

Thank you very much

will do as you suggest
Thank you for your reply

Your reply is great and your information is superb - thanks for insight - hope you get to read this and to all the people who responded I want to say it gives me a nice feeling to see all these responses

Thank you all very much.

You can start playing around with the oil change frequency after the warranty expires. Mobil1 Extended Performance synthetic oil is guaranteed for up to 15,000 miles. It’s not so much that it is a synthetic oil, but that there is 50% more SuperSyn (additives) than regular Mobil1. The extra SuperSyn delays oil breakdown. It’s very expensive, as are all synthetic oils. I’d just use the regular old mineral oil that’s been available for a hundred years or so.

Thanks - I’ve been using Castrol 5w-30 natural oil for all my cars and it’s been just fine - I just thought that I would try to go “green” and see if I can preserve our planet in my own small way

thank you so much for your response