Oil use computers

How do these things work? Do they just measure miles driven? In order to be of any value they would need to consider the length of trips, engine temperature, vehicle speed, stops and starts, etc. The owner’s manual doesn’t explain it. 2011 Honda CRV.

It takes all those factors into account. Its only assumption is that you are using the specified oil. If you use a higher grade oil, i.e. if you use a synthetic where a conventional oil of say SN is specified, you will be changing it more often than needed.

Depends on the car maker. Some still use purely mileage, but many have complex algorithms that take into account all of the items you mention (and more). I believe GM has the most advanced and oil life monitor system out there. And remember, some don’t use any oil life monitor at all.

Never exceed the oil life monitor displayed by your car regardless of the kind of oil you’re using.

1 Like

Anybody know about Honda (2011)?

My understanding is the same as what keith posted. When we bought dad’s 2007 crv in nov 2006 we were told to wait until the minder called for an oil change which took about 9,000 miles. Or at least once a year

Same for my 2010 Insight. Honestly, I chicken out when the monitor gets to 50% remaining, which is after about 5,000 miles (Mobil1 0W-20 full-synth).

For sure Honda uses the number of key starts and mileage but after that I don’t know. I still just change mine at 5000 miles or about 50%. Last time though I had 5000 miles on it and the oil minder still said 60% after a 1600 mile trip.

I’m familiar with Oil Life Monitors and Maintenance Reminders, but not with “Oil Use Monitors”. The first two use variations ranging from simple mileage to an algorithm that processes various related sensor inputs. Number of starts, miles, and sophisticated ones probably even use engine operating sensor algorithms (temps, rpms, and such like that all figured in).

The best approach is to simply read the owner’s manual and consider its parameters to be minimal. If it says to change the oil every 10,000 miles, consider that an absolute maximum. If it says to change it when the OLM says to, see if it says what parameters cause the OLM to indicate the need and use that as a maximum. But IMHO the final responsibility lies with the owner; monitor your fluids and follow maintenance recommendations (or stricter schedules that you feel more comfortable with). One of my personal parameters is “free time”. If I know I’ve put some mileage on since my last change, and I have a free morning with no pressing chores, I sometimes change the oil and reset the reminder. :nerd:

The thing is on the Acura and Honda I suspect, its all electronic and they don’t give you the mileages to use anymore on servicing-just wait till the electronic message comes up and go to the dealer to have it read. The owners manual does not tell what the parameters are for the oil change message and in fact even the factory service manual does not give that information, Only says to go by it. So yeah, its kinda guess work and not much to base it on which is why I tend to ignore it. If I’ve got 5000 miles and at 60%, I’ll be danged if I’m going go to 10,000 to get the % down to 10 for a $30 DIY oil change.

Dad finally got down to 15% recently so the crv’s going in for an oil change but most years it’s the annual service at around 5,000 miles.

This tells you how the Honda system works:

Mine is a 2011 CRV, not included in this list.

The information is general enough that I’m sure it is the same for the 2011 CRV.

Well I have found the system unhelpful except for the oil life percentage. With three cars now, I have never had the B maintenance items come up. I have my tire rotations done locally, do my own oil changes and air and cabin filter changes. Seems silly to have to go to the dealer to have their computer reset for tire rotations, etc. The only thing I’ll be going to the dealer for is differential and transfer assembly and based on mileage regardless of what the little light says. Why? I called this morning to have the differential fluid changed for the recommended first 10,000 mile interval. First available time is a little over one week for a 30 minute job.

My point has always been that there is no way the system actually knows what kind of oil is in the car or what the condition actually is. It is only based on their lab studies of what the oil should be like under the conditions monitored. I’m sure lab test have never been wrong before but that’s why I just change at 5000 miles.