Oil torture test

Do your part to revitalize the economy and scrap that old Troy-Bilt.

That mower was designed as a true mulcher. All it does is mulch. I also own a 2/yo Toro that I keep at another income property…and it too does mulching…but not even close to as well as the Troy-built does. I LOVE this mower.

Here’s a vid of one. Although mine isn’t power drive.

I’m with @MikeInNH on the benefits of a true mulching mower. I have a 20" walk behind Homelite mower that is not self propelled and is a true mulching mower. It has two bades–a shorter blade that is perpendicular to the longer blade… I bought the mower in 1992. The deck is aluminum so that there is not a rust-out problem. Homelite took over the Jacobsen lawnmower company, and then Homelite seems to have sold out to another manufacturer–perhaps MTD. I did put on a new short block about 10 years ago because the engine had lost compression and was burning oil. The engine is again using oil. Unfortunately, when I search for parts for this mower, the parts are no longer available. This mower mulches so well that I don’t want to have to buy a new mower. However, I don’t think it is worth investing in a second new short block.
When I do the mid-season oil change, I’ll try full synthetic 5W-30 and see if the oil consumption is reduced over the straight 30 weight heavy detergent that I am now using. If switching to the 5W-30 full synthetic results in a disaster, I’ll blame @MiKeInNH .
I’ve been a little gun shy about new oils after an experience my dad had in the early 1950s. His mechanic suggested that he switch to detergent oil which was new at the time in his 1949 Dodge. The oil consumption shot up immensely. Also, when the engine was pulling hard, the oil pressure would drop almost to zero. Apparently, the detergent oil would attack the main bearings in some of the cars in this time period. I also had a friend in the early 1960s who owned a 1958 Oldsmobile. The first year he owned the car, the camshaft failed. Apparently, the valve spring pressure had been increased and certain brands of 10W-30 oils caused the camshaft failures. Oldsmobile issued a statement that multi-viscosity oils were not to be used in these engines. Actually, I have never heard of anyone who switched to synthetic oil in any engine having a problem as a result of using the synthetic oil, so maybe the switch to 5W-30 oil won’t lead to the problems caused by switching from non-detergent to detergent oils years ago.

What is it about Motor oil that’s so fascinating?? Even the cans motor oil came in years ago are considered collectors items and people pay good money for them…Amazing…

Even the cans motor oil came in years ago are considered collectors items and people pay good money for them..

You mean the ones made from cardboard?

To ASE, all I can say is Shame, shame, shame, but you knew that.

I’ve got older and newer and think the new oil chart includes the older Briggs stuff anyway. I don’t know about if it is ok in Tecumseh or not-good luck on getting an answer from them. I’m leaning toward switching everything to the 5w30 synthetic Mobil 1 at this point since getting straight 30 is becoming a problem and would simplify everything.

I’ve got about a 16 year old rider with the twin cyl 16 hp that I want to take care of. The problem is finding a decent replacement without a hydro trans that seem to be troublesome. Also got a generator, Toro walk behind, the kids Tecumseh blower, and my Toro blower. Then the cabin has a 25 year plus blower, rider, and walk behind. So I have my share of small engines. I do at least annual changes, carb kits every so many years, etc. When you need the stuff you need the stuff and no time for repairs or replacement. I had a 30 year old blower that seized in January of a very bad winter. In all of Minneapolis there were only a couple of decent blowers left in stock so I like to make sure my stuff will make it through the season.

Rod Knox Senior Grease Monkey

9:29AM

The vast majority of lawnmowers are 20’ cut push models that can be bought for less than $150, @Mike. And when that mower fails to start after 2 years and a “tune-up” is $99.99 the owners discard them for a newer model.

That “$99 tune up” is usually a carb disassembly and cleaning to get rid of the varnish and gum left behind by some two year old gasoline that now smells like varnish. If you religiously empty the gas tank and let the engine run the carb float bowl dry after you are through using the power equipment, you’ll never need that “$99 tune up”.

I just retired my $150 lawnmower after 6 years of service. The motor runs great, but the deck rusted through and collapsed. I managed some patch panels to get it through the last year. But, now I have a new mulching mower that is an inheritance from my dad, since he sold the house and brought his retirement condo. First thing was an oil change and fresh spark plug. Hoping to get 10 years out of this one.

I agree with Rod that you should do your part for the economy and get rid of that old mower.
What do you want for it and where do I send the check???

@BustedKnuckles–I hope your inherited lawnmower from your dad works out better than the inherited snow blower I received from my dad. I originally bought the snow blower for my dad the Christmas before we had big blizzard here in Indiana in 1978. He really liked the snow blower, but when he and my mother moved into a retirement facility in 1992, I inherited the snow blower. I used it a couple of seasons and then it refused to start because it wasn’t getting spark. I figured it needed a new ignition module, so I took it to a small engine shop. When the shop looked into it, I received a call and was told that, in addition to needing the ignition module, the engine had very low compression and wouldn’t be worth repairing. The repairman said, “Was this snow blower used commercially? Nobody wears out a snow blower around here”. What had happened was that my dad was going all over the neighborhood when we had a snow and doing everyone’s driveway and sidewalks. I had purchased the snow blower for him because I worried about him shoveling snow. He probably exerted more energy with all the snow blowing he did.

“I agree with Rod that you should do your part for the economy and get rid of that old mower”.
This is the American way–just throw it away. I am afraid the U.S. economy would be in terrible shape if everyone kept things going the way most of us regulars on this board do.

Triedaq, I wasn’t suggesting throwing it away… read my post again.

@Triedaq‌, my dad didn’t like doing yard work, so it’s probably 4 years old and looks brand new. I also got a weed wacker that also looks new, but is 6 years old. The fuel lines and primer bulb were dry rotted and broken. I replaced them and the wacker fired up after a bit of effort.

What this board needs is a buy/sell/trade section I guess. Problem is shipping an old mower probably costs more than a new one.

Mike and I are both from southern NH. I’m in Mike’s hometown often.
But in truth, my post was just meant as a joke.

Land Rover / Mobil 1 oil torture test drifts off into a discussion on lawn mower technology…You expect some thread drift on this board but this is ridiculous…

And when that mower fails to start after 2 years and a "tune-up" is $99.99 the owners discard them for a newer model.

All I do every year is change the plug and oil…and sharpen the blade. Never spent more then $6. As @B.L.E. pointed out…that $99 tuneup is usually a carb rebuild because someone didn’t run the gas tank dry. I do that every year before I put them away for the winter. My snow-blower has a gas cut-off that I shut and then run the engine til it dies from lack of gas. My snow blower is 15 years old.

"I LOVE this mower."
And I thought I had too much affinity toward mechanical devices. I liked my old two stroke because of it’s lightness and power, but I am getting used to the new Toro mulcher with Personal Pace drive and optional hill bar. It pulls me up hills and I need that. New is better…sometimes. I , like you, think of mowers like refrigerators and well pumps as far as long term investments. I am really disappointed if they aren’t still serviceable after twenty years.

“oil torture test drifts off into a discussion on lawn mower technology…”

and maybe on to the art of motorcycle maintenance…

“But in truth, my post was just meant as a joke.”

Yeah me too. I don’t wanna buy/sell page.

Whoa, Caddyman’s right. This got waaaay off course.