CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Oil Light

What might cause the oil light on my 1992 Eagle Summit Wagon (284,000 miles on the original engine) to come on? I had driven about a mile from a cold start and it flickered then came on full. I stopped and checked the oil…the sump was full. I took the car home and started it again this morning. Again, after about a mile the light came on. When the light is on, I experience no shudder or roughness from the engine, no smoke or smells… What should I check? Is it safe to drive to a repair shop?

If you read your owner’s manual, you would know that you are supposed to stop the car and engine, and have it towed to a repair shop. That light means low or no oil pressure. (You could be lucky, and an it could just be a bad sender, but what if it’s really low oil pressure?)
Without enough oil pressure, your engine can be quickly killed. (Quickly being less than a minute.)

Yes, you can drive to a repair shop. When you get there you will either need a new oil pressure sender or a new engine. Or, you could have it towed and might not need a new engine. (Since you already drove with the light on and you do have almost 300K miles, odds are good you will need an engine.)

Bad oil pump?